1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume Integration Around Non-Coordinate Axis

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line x = 5. (Use disk method)

$$ xy = 3, y = 1, y = 4, x = 5 $$

2. Relevant equations

The formula using for disk method is of the form:

$$ \pi \int (r(x/y))^2*(dx/y) $$

3. The attempt at a solution

So first I graphed this out, and came up with a region, like so (represented by the white region):

img.png

In disk method, when rotating around a vertical axis, the differential of dy is used.

Setting this integral up, our limits are y = 1, to y = 4, as given in the problem statement.

My main question is how do we represent the r in the disk method equation, when the axis is meant to be around x = 5, and not the y-axis.

The best I could think of would be:

$$ \pi \int_{1}^{4} (\frac {y} {3} + 5)^{2} dy $$

However, something tells me this isn't the right approach, because I'm not seeing the logic behind whether or not I should add, subtract, or subtract from the x = 5.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember, r(y) is the distance measured from the curve xy = 3 to the line x = 5. Examining your graph should tell you what r(1) must be. I don't think that's what the integrand in your integral indicates.

4. Jun 22, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suspect that the formula you gave for the disk method is to be interpreted as a general formula in which you will use only x or only y , depending upon whether the axis is horizontal or is vertical .

Use ##\displaystyle \ \ \pi \int (r(x))^2\ dx\ \ ## or ##\displaystyle \ \ \pi \int (r(y))^2\ dy\ \ ## as appropriate.

5. Jun 22, 2016 #4
    So, you could interpret the distance as ## 5 - x ##? and thus make the ## r = 5 - \frac 3 y ## ?

The integral would then become ## \pi \int_{1}^{4} (5 - \frac {3} {y} )^{2} dy ## ?

6. Jun 22, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted