Volume of 3-Torus: Formula and Calculations

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter novice_hack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
novice_hack
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I have recently read that physicists are exploring the possibility that the universe is a 3-torus. I have been trying to find the formula for the volume of a three-torus online but cannot find it. Can anyone tell me the formula?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This statement refers just to the topology. You cannot fix the volume given topology only. In the case of a flat torus, the volume would just be the product of the circumference in its three directions.
 
Thanks for your answer. I was looking for something like the general formula for the volume of an n-ball, which is given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere

I am not sure whether there would be an analogous formula for the n-torus?