1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Solid-Revolution About X-Axis

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the region bounded by the curves y= (x)/(1-x) , x= 0, x=(1/2), y=0.
    Calculate the volume of the solid that is created when this region is revolved about the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is the work I have so far, but it seems to be giving me undefined answers, and I know this can't possibly be right.

V= [itex] \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [\frac{x}{1-x}]^{2}\, dx [/itex] Whole thing is squared, by the way.
    ∏ * [itex] \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [\frac{x}{1-x}]^{2}\, dx [/itex]
    ∏ * [itex] (\left. x + \frac{1}{(1-x)} + 2 ln (x-1))\right|_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]

Would appreciate any help on this as I've been working on it for hours and can't seem to figure out what's going on. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I believe your integral is correct though you might need to change 2ln(x-1) to ln(x-1)2 to not get an undefined answer.

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Use this :

##2ln(x-1) = ln(x^2-2x+1)## and it will evaluate properly.

5. Aug 4, 2013 #4
    So now I get:

pi * (x + 1/(1-x) + ln(x-1)^(2) | 0 and 1/2 being lower and upper limits of integration respectively
    pi(0.5 + 2 + ln(1/4)) - pi (0 + 1 + 0)
    5/2*(pi) + ln(1/4)*pi - pi
    3/2*(pi) + ln(1/4)*pi

Is this correct? Thank you !

6. Aug 4, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with you answer.
    In your initial post, the error is that ##\int\frac {dx}x = \ln(|x|)##.
    Fwiw, you can avoid that complication and the partial fractions by substituting w = 1-x.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Also don't forget that there's a factor [itex]\pi[/itex] missing. The volume is
    [tex]V=\pi \int_{x_0}^{x_1} \mathrm{d} x \; [f(x)]^2.[/tex]
    This is easily seen from the geometric derivation of the integral, which sums infinitesimal cylindrical discs of height [itex]\mathrm{d} x[/itex] and radius [itex]f(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted