1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of revolution and areas

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble when it comes to volume of revolutions and areas. I find it quite difficult when it comes to setting up the integral. Could someone explain to me or give me a tutorial on how to set up the equations thanks!

Here are a few examples

The region enclosed by the curves y = x^2 and x = y^2 is rotated about the line y = -2. Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region enclosed by the curves y=e^(x) + 2, y=0 , x=0, and x=0.1 about the x-axis.

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region enclosed by the curves y=x^2 and x = y^2 about the line x=-1.

The region enclosed by the curves x = 1 - y^4 and x = 0 is rotated about the line x = 4. Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Thanks for all the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    Hi,
    Volume and area questions are relatively simple once you come to terms with whats actually going on. I have been working on some tutorials for volume and area problems on my science community website (although it's still very young in development). We plan on developing a very extensive tutorial database but it's going to be a long process.
    Click http://www.theoremsociety.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7" [Broken] for the tutorials page.
    Also I would check out homework problems that have been asked here. Volume questions seem to reappear quite often on PF.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    For the method of rings/disks:
    Rotation over vertical line in form of x = f(y)
    Rotation over horizontal line in form of y = f(x)
    Formula: pi*((outer radius)2 - (inner radius)2)

For the method of cylinders/shells:
    Rotation over vertical line in form of y = f(x)
    Rotation over horizontal line in for of x = f(y)
    Formula: pi*radius*height

Remember to draw diagrams. Keep in mind, when you're given a restriction for x = _ that's a vertical line, and y = _ is a horizontal line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook