1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of revolution in the first quadrant?!

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1

CAH

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volumes of the solid formed when each of the areas in the following perform one revolution about the X axis...
    Question: The volume line in the first quadrant and bounded by the curve y=x^3 and the line y=3x+2.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of revolution about X-axis: V=pi*integral(y^2) dx. ('b' upper, and 'a' lower limit)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I can find the volume (I think) of the whole system, but I can't just find the volume in the first quadrant.
    V=pi*integral[(3x+2)^2 - (x^3)^2] between 2 and -1. So this is area under line minus area under curve, between there intersections. I don't know how to find the area in the first quadrant alone though!
    I got V= 264pi/7 (the whole system) and the answer in my textbook is 56pi/5. Also sometimes the textbooks are wrong.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the first quadrant, x > 0, so your integral should not be from - 1 to 2. The region that is being revolved is bounded above by the line y = 3x + 2, below by the curve y = x3, and on the left by the y-axis (because you're interested only in what's happening in Quadrant 1).

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3

CAH

Yea i did the 0-2 boundary, must have accidentally wrote -1! But I still have the area beneath the X axis in my equation and I don't know how to take it away so it's only the area in the first quad left...?

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, that formula is for the area between the ##x## axis and the function, rotated. You need the formula$$
    A =\pi \int_a^b y_{upper}^2 - y_{lower}^2~dx$$to get the volume of the area between the curves rotated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted