Vortices - differentiation of the field in abelian Higgs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Lapidus
Messages
344
Reaction score
12
In Zee's "Nutshell QFT" (chapter V.7) or Shifman's book "Avanced Topics in QFT" (section 10) when they talk about vortices, they claim:

if [itex]\phi(r,\theta)[/itex] goes to [itex]\nu[/itex]exp( i[itex]\theta[/itex]) as r goes to infinity

then [itex]\partial_{i}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] becomes [itex]\nu[/itex](1/r)

I do not see how? Is the phase equal to 1/r if r goes to r?

thank you
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lapidus said:
In Zee's "Nutshell QFT" (chapter V.7) or Shifman's book "Avanced Topics in QFT" (section 10) when they talk about vortices, they claim:

if [itex]\phi(r,\theta)[/itex] goes to [itex]\nu[/itex]exp( i[itex]\theta[/itex]) as r goes to infinity

then [itex]\partial_{i}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] becomes [itex]\nu[/itex](1/r)

I do not see how? Is the phase equal to 1/r if r goes to r?

thank you

Just express the gradient in polar coordinates:

$$\nabla f =( \partial_r f )\hat{e}_r + \frac{1}{r} (\partial_\theta f )\hat{e}_\theta.$$
 
Wait, still not clear...

Especially, what Shifman does or Rubakov in "Classical Theory of Gauge Theories" on page 159, of which I attached a pdf copy down below. Where does the minus sign come from? Are the partial derivatives in polar or x-y coordinates? I know that the 1/r comes from the gradient somehow, as fzero pointed out, but why the Levi-Cita symbol?

I'm sorry, scine I know that it must be super simple and "obvious", but I can't see it.

Very grateful in advance for any extra hints!
 
Attachments
Lapidus said:
Wait, still not clear...

Especially, what Shifman does or Rubakov in "Classical Theory of Gauge Theories" on page 159, of which I attached a pdf copy down below. Where does the minus sign come from? Are the partial derivatives in polar or x-y coordinates? I know that the 1/r comes from the gradient somehow, as fzero pointed out, but why the Levi-Cita symbol?

I'm sorry, scine I know that it must be super simple and "obvious", but I can't see it.

Very grateful in advance for any extra hints!

You should work out ##\partial_i \theta## using the usual relation from polar coordinates that ##\theta = \tan^{-1}(y/x)##. The relative minus sign between the ##x## and ##y## components is related to the appearance of ##x/y## in this formula.
 
Ok, after all not so super obvious:

Given z = arctan(y/x) = arctan(yx⁻¹):

∂z/∂x = [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (∂/∂x)(yx⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (-yx⁻²)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (-y/x²)
= -y / (x² + y²).

∂z/∂y = [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (∂/∂y)(yx⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (x⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (1/x)
= 1/(x + y²/x)
= x / (x² + y²).

Arghhh, those textbooks that throw just equations at you without explaining anything.