Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Voter disenfranchisement - in 2014?

1. Sep 26, 2014 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Wait for the future when they'll say you need a facebook page and to get it you'll need a drivers license or valid passport so facebook knows who you are.

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Sorry, but that is a valid point. How do you distinguish between illegal immigrants and US citizens without any official documents or registration?

Here in Germany, as an adult you have to have either ID or passport. If you lose ID and/or passport and your birth certificate at the same time, your home town still has a database entry about you, and if you come with witnesses that you are the corresponding person to this entry you can get new documents, but it is still a tricky procedure.

5. Sep 27, 2014 #4

mheslep

Gold Member

... that some simple id rules have not been put in place before in a country this size with such high physical mobility. Many other countries have them.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scrip...l=000&invol=07-21&friend=public#FNopinion1.10

Anecdote for anecdote:
    http://www.electionintegritywatch.com/be-informed/news-stories/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Sep 27, 2014 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

While I agree with the comments made, and I've had the experience in presenting a 'government-issued photo ID' in entering the secured area at an airport, in various Federal buildings and other secure or regulated areas, and cashing a check, I reflect on the minority of cases like that of Ruthelle Frank.

It used to be that one's signature was sufficient - probably about 40 or so years ago.

I was wondering why not err on the side of protecting the right to vote. In the case of Ms. Frank, ostensibly there is a record of her residence and voting record. Besides, how many 85-year old illegal aliens show up to obtain a mandatory photo-ID?

7. Sep 27, 2014 #6
    I've got a feeling that's a cultural stuff. It's some kind of irony that GOP here actually tries to enforce rules that are quite normal in the EU (In my country I vote with passport, to express my opinion about quality of governance).

One simple rule - if whole legitimacy of gov is based on being the rightful heir, than you must have paranoiac procedures to guarantee that the queen did not have an affair and the new born baby was not replaced by midwives. If you have democracy, you must very carefully count the votes, as if it they were something important.

Just to provide unquestionable transition of power and to silent all conspiracy theorist.

8. Sep 27, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoever said dealing with the government was going to be easy, whether you're 100 years old or 25 years old?

While I sympathize with Mrs. Frank, a check of the Wisconsin state Dept. of Health Services, which keeps track of vital records for the state, shows that you can request that a birth certificate search be made. The non-refundable fee of $20 for the search includes furnishing a copy of the BC to the applicant if one is found and additional copies can be furnished at $3/copy, so IDK where this $200 figure for a BC search comes from.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/birth.htm

Yes, there is a form which must be filled out and submitted, but Mrs. Frank has a daughter to help her. When my elderly father was alive and had to fill out lengthy forms, I was glad to be able to assist him. If one doesn't want to go thru the hassle of getting a certified copy of the BC, Wisconsin also permits an applicant for an ID to furnish two other forms of identification: these include a current health insurance card, a utility bill, or a current bank statement.

I'm sure that Mrs. Frank is a recipient of SS and Medicare, so that's one form of ID. Since the article states she has lived at the same address for 85 years, there must be a utility bill of some sort. When the monthly SS check comes nowadays, the SSA is always urging recipients to sign-up for direct deposit, to prevent theft of the checks, so there may be a bank account in Mrs. Frank's name.

I always take what Bill Moyers has to say with a grain of salt. He is a long-time Democratic party activist, going back to at least his days working in LBJ's administration.

9. Sep 27, 2014 #8
  10. Sep 27, 2014 #9

russ_watters

Indeed, in today's world, to not have ID is mind-boggling.....that's what you meant, right? ;)
    I went to a bar the other night and was insulted when I was asked for an ID. I'm 38 and don't look 21. Don't they trust mey? They said they have to card everyone. How can that be when I can vote without showing an ID? Something far more important is far less secure. Seems contradictory, doesn't it? Meh -- I had my ID in my pocket, so I declined to sue....after all, I wanted a beer now!
    Last time I voted, a signature was all I needed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  11. Sep 27, 2014 #10

russ_watters

Why is that an insult? The DMV has the capability of verifying ID, taking pictures and printing out ID cards. Seems like a logical place to go. Where would you have people go to get a government issued ID?

12. Sep 28, 2014 #11
    The DMV typically is also so jokingly noted for their inefficiency that they are frequently brought up by comedians. In this case it isn't funny. The people in the OP had not been there in years and had little or no access to them.

On the other hand these same people have been voting for years, and most of them at the same place. Older people also have either a Medicare or Medicaid card with the date of issue. Only a group who would perceive a significant number of the health cards held by older people to be fake would raise such a stink. Come to think of it this is just another insult to the elderly.

Links to each of the above are in the link below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-ruling-proving-voter-fraud-is-mostly-a-myth/

13. Sep 29, 2014 #12

russ_watters

Yes, government-run offices are often terribly inefficient. So what? Again: How is that an insult? And what is your alternative?
    "Access"? Is that what you really meant to say? Clearly, they did have "access", since they went there and didn't say they had any trouble getting there.
    I would be in favor of making those cards photo-IDs if it makes things easier. Sound good to you?
    Huh? They aren't being asked to show those cards, so you're just making all of that up. But as above: if you are suggesting making that a photo ID so they can show it at a voting place, I'd be in favor of it.
    "Mostly"? So to put it another way: votor fraud happens.

14. Sep 29, 2014 #13
    It is an insult because these people have voted for many years. many of them were voting before some forum members were even born. The Medicare and Medicaid cards with a picture ID would be a great alternative.

Access was a poor choice of words only because it doesn't apply to ALL older people. Of course some can get there, the ones in the link did, but someone has to take them there. Not everyone has that someone, so obviously there is no access for them. Not everyone lives close to a DMV. Older handicapped and disabled people are especially burdened.

It looks like this issue may go to court in Wisconsin.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/writers/jessie-opoien/brief-filed-in-wisconsin-voter-id-case-points-out-limited/article_45c2d51e-4b67-5a50-8b2f-bd24763450e1.html [Broken]

That sounds great to me !!

Why aren't they asking for the forms of government ID that most older people have in hand? Because they aren't a photo ID? Why aren't they a photo ID? Could it be because this is the type of red tape issue that is usually against Republican ideology?..Sorry I am getting off topic. OK OK I confess that was intentional. <(@^@)>

I agree that getting a photo ID on Medicare and Medicaid cards would be the answer to several problems. Many medical labs will not do the tests ordered by a doctor unless the patient shows a photo ID along with their government insurance cards. I know that from personal experience.

[/QUOTE"]Mostly"? So to put it another way: votor fraud happens.[/QUOTE]

It has been proven to be very rare. Are the new steps required to get a voter ID really necessary for the elderly? Disenfranchisement for the elderly is the whole point of the OP.

15. Sep 29, 2014 #14

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

16. Sep 29, 2014 #15
    http://www.nhregister.com/governmen...ed-on-19-voting-fraud-charges?fb_locale=id_ID

That is an interesting article about one state politician and voter fraud, albeit it goes on to get a bit tacky.

So does the mud slinging start now? OK this republican has 13 felony voter fraud charges.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06...-supporter-charged-13-felonies-wisconsin.html

I doubt if either of these [fruitcakes) people were disenfranchised elderly Americans.

I see a big problem as being in the quote below:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/01/voter-id-laws

We most likely all agree that there is noting wrong with requiring proper voter identification. It does have to be done without affecting the elderly, the fox can not be in charge of the hen house, and no one should be disenfranchised.

What we have so far is everything from sensible to totally ridiculous. There are new voter laws being struck down by the courts only to be appealed Ad nauseam.

Below is a link to the various state voting laws:

http://ballotpedia.org/State_by_State_Voter_ID_Laws

17. Sep 29, 2014 #16

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the problem with voter fraud (at least in the US): Voter fraud is real if the other party does it; it's a myth if your own party gets caught.

18. Sep 29, 2014 #17
    Voting should be free and convenient. If it requires an ID, the ID should be 100% free and easily accessible.

Citizens have a right to vote and a right to a fair election that isn't impacted by fraud. If elected officials pass laws that are negligent in protecting those two rights, I will vote them out, regardless of their party affiliation.

19. Sep 29, 2014 #18
    Ok so I have stayed on topic about as long as I can stand it.

Even if the Identity of individual voters could be scrutinized to the point where no fraud could ever exist, we still have to deal with electronic machines that many people, myself included , do not trust because they are too easy to rig. To make things worse the separate machines that actually count the votes can also be rigged.

Below is a good article if you want to read ten pages (short) on the history of election fraud. Most of the article focuses on more recent elections and points the finger at the folks on the right to the extent of calling machine fraud "red shift". It really digs deep.

http://harpers.org/archive/2012/11/how-to-rig-an-election/

Why did I always think that Harpers was about women's issues??

20. Sep 30, 2014 #19

mheslep

Gold Member

21. Sep 30, 2014 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook