Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wallis Product into Stirlings Formula

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    Hey all, I'm having a difficult time seeing why the approximation of the Wallis Product equals the square root of 2pi.

I know for a fact that:

How then does this produce:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The standard Stirlings Formula is
    I think
  4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    I know, that's what I'm getting to later on in the proof, however getting through this step is a little bit of a mess to me. I already know that [tex]\sqrt{2\pi}\approx(\frac{e}{n})^n\frac{n!}{\sqrt{n }}[/tex]

I'm trying to get from [tex]\pi\approx\left(\frac{2*4*6*8*\ldots*\left(2n\righ t)}{1*3*5*7*\ldots*\left(2n-1\right)}\right)\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\left(n!\right)^{2}\left(2^{2n}\right)}{\left(2n)!}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

and I'm not sure how to do that.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
    You're not going to, because it should be [tex]2\pi[/tex] rather than [tex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]. To do that, try:
    (1) Let the expression in the numerator be E. Multiply by E/E. What's the denominator now?
    (2) factor a 2 out of every term in the numerator. What does that look like now?
    (3) Win!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?