What is the approximation used here?

In summary, the author provides an approximation for sin(u_0) using a series of terms that are K/(K+p).
Unconscious
I'm reading a paper (Beamwidth and directivity of large scanning arrays, R. S. Elliott, Appendix A) in which the author starts from this expression:

##\frac{\sin\left [ \left ( 2N+1 \right ) u_0\right ]}{\sin(u_0)}\sum_{p=-P}^Pa_p\cos(p\pi)\left [\frac{\sin(u_0)}{\sin(u_p)} -1+1 \right ]##

where ##a_p=a_{-p}## and ##u_p=\frac{\pi L}{(N+1)\lambda}\left(\cos \theta'-\cos\theta_0+\frac{p\lambda}{L}\right)##, and says that we can approximate it in the following way:

##( 2N+1)\frac{\sin\left [ \left ( 2N+1 \right ) u_0\right ]}{( 2N+1)u_0}\left \{ a_0+\sum_{p=1}^P2a_p\cos(p\pi) \right \} - ( 2N+1)\frac{\sin\left [ \left ( 2N+1 \right ) u_0\right ]}{( 2N+1)u_0}\sum_{p=1}^P2a_p\cos(p\pi)\frac{p^2}{p^2-K^2}##

where ##K=\frac{L}{\lambda}\left(\cos\theta'-\cos\theta_0\right)##, because "##u_0## and ##u_p## are small and ##P## is a small integer".

I simply can't understand why. My attempt, using ##\sin u_p\approx u_p##, gives the same approximate expression, but with the difference that I have a factor ##\frac{p}{p+K}## instead of the factor ##\frac{p^2}{p^2-K^2}##.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first line looks funny. -1+1 at end?? I went no further.

I didn't work out every single detail, but I got a term that is ## K/(K+p) ##. When the negative ## p's ## are summed, this will change that to a ## K/(K-p) ##. (Notice the final sum is over positive ## p ##). The common denominator becomes ## K^2-p^2 ##. It's a lot of algebra, but if the author was careful, he might have got it right.
Edit: Notice ##2(1-\frac{p^2}{p^2-K^2})=2 \frac{K^2}{K^2-p^2}=\frac{K}{K+p}+\frac{K}{K-p} ##.
I think the author got it right.

Thanks for your answer, tomorrow I'll try to do calculations again.
Thank you again :)

Likes Charles Link

What is the approximation used in scientific research?

The approximation used in scientific research is a simplified or estimated representation of a complex phenomenon or system. It is often used when precise measurements or calculations are not possible or practical.

Why do scientists use approximations?

Scientists use approximations to make complex problems more manageable and to provide a general understanding of a phenomenon or system. It also allows for easier calculations and predictions.

What are the limitations of using approximations in science?

The limitations of using approximations in science include potential inaccuracies and errors, as well as the possibility of oversimplifying a problem or missing important details. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and account for these limitations in their research.

How do scientists determine the validity of an approximation?

Scientists determine the validity of an approximation by comparing it to more precise measurements or calculations, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also consider the assumptions and simplifications made in the approximation and how they may affect the results.

Can approximations be improved or refined?

Yes, approximations can be improved or refined through further research, experimentation, and advancements in technology. As our understanding of a phenomenon or system improves, so does our ability to make more accurate approximations.