Wannier-stark state calculation (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

In a tilt lattice, there are wannier-stark states

Is this state localized or extended? I think it should be extended because there is no lower bound of the potential

are they stable or quasi-stable?

How to calculate them?

When the electric field is strong, the Wannier state is localized, see the article
by M Dignam in Phys. Rev. B in 1994.
They are quasi-stable, they are resonant state.
See also the Dignam's article

When the electric field is strong, the Wannier state is localized, see the article
by M Dignam in Phys. Rev. B in 1994.
They are quasi-stable, they are resonant state.
See also the Dignam's article
Thanks a lot!

Why are they quasi-stable?

I take a tight-binding model, and numerically diagonalize the hamiltonian, and find out the eigenstates, i find that the eigenstates are all well-localized and of the same shape. Of course, except for those near the boundary.

Thanks a lot!

Why are they quasi-stable?

I take a tight-binding model, and numerically diagonalize the hamiltonian, and find out the eigenstates, i find that the eigenstates are all well-localized and of the same shape. Of course, except for those near the boundary.
For one dimensional tight binding lattice, without interband tunneling, the Wannier-Stark state
is rigorous localized state. and the eigenenergy is equidistant.

If there exists interband tunneling, the WS state is a resonant state and quasi-stable.

For one dimensional tight binding lattice, without interband tunneling, the Wannier-Stark state
is rigorous localized state. and the eigenenergy is equidistant.

If there exists interband tunneling, the WS state is a resonant state and quasi-stable.

Thanks a lot!

This sounds making sense.

but why?

In the above discussion,there exist Both Wannier state and Wannier-Stark state.But the two is different.Can you give a more detailed anwser?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving