Want to be an astrophysicist, but am unsure.

  • Thread starter Thread starter trentt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Astrophysicist
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
trentt
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
So, I am in grade 10 and have always had an obsession with astronomy and physics, and I would like to pursue a career in it one day as a theoretical physicist or something like that. But there's one problem, I often think that I have dyscalculia. I have a hard time remembering formulas to things, and doing math in my head is difficult for me. So my question is, do you think I would have a chance of making it as a physicist? Or should I go for something else? Please don't be hard on me, it's just a question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just try hard throughout high school while still enjoying your youth. Remember that High School still is fun and you can make lots of friends and great memories during that time. Don't be worrying about a specific career in Grade 10, if you know you are interested in Math and Physics then try and hard during those classes! If you make it to Grade 12 and are still interested in Math & Physics as much as you are right now, make sure you take AP Calculus and you should be good for jumping into a Physics major. That is when you will truly see if you like the discipline or not and when you should decide on career plans.

Enjoy High School! Have a fun time. :)
 
People with dyscalculia often have trouble understanding basic math like adding and subtracting. Having trouble remembering formulas or doing math in your head just means maybe you're not great at math. That's not a learning disability. Not everyone is good at everything. A PhD in physics means calc I, II, III, linear algebra, differential equations, and 4 semesters of math for physicists at the least. It's up to you whether or not you can complete that.