Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to become a mechanical engineer

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    Hey, everyone I finally made up my mind on what carreer path I want to get into, but the problem is that it deals with a great deal of math. The same math I rejected as a child. I'm now 20 and since I'm not good at math as of right now I must start from the basic does anyone known the best books to practice on to jump start my math gear

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably the best place to look is in this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178 [Broken]

Great career choice, btw - best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
    If you are interested in mechanical engineering, you will need to be thoroughly prepared to jump into calculus. From the way that you worded your post, it seems to me that you will be lacking in your knowledge of algebra. If this is the case I would recommend working your way through the introductory math courses (ie intro -> trig -> college algebra) at your university/community college of choice before even starting your engineering degree. However, if you feel VERY comfortable with algebra and trig then you should be alright starting your degree in engineering. A solid background in trig and algebra is essential to avoid being "weeded out" in the first years of engineering.

If I were you, I would spend 1-1.5 years at a community college to brush up on mathematics in preparation for the beast known as mechanical engineering. It may sound like a long time, but (done correctly) math takes time to truly absorb and understand.

5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    I don't know if it really takes THAT long ^^. I'd recommend you take it easy your first semester and not take anything like calc-based physics if you're really worried about your maths. Simply try and take a summer semester and take a math class, or go to a CC and ask to sit in on the lectures and do the work etc. That way you don't have the pressure of the grade and you're just learning. If not, then take a more fundamental math class (like college algebra) your next semester and then work from there. It may set you back a semester but you can always use summers to catch up. Besides, being good at math is a very important thing since engineering is math heavy (atleast the education is).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook