1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Want to know how experiments were performed through history

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm so hungrey for learning about the history of physics and chemeistry and learning how the experiments werer performed throughout history (The actualy experimental setup, and how the equations were derived). Are there any good boks to be recommended? There must be some books that actually explain the experimental setups in physics and chemistry throughout history (from Greek belief to Quantum phyiscs and special relativity) and how the equations were derived?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2
    Sounds like a great title for an unwritten book.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    There are secrets; otherwise, everybody would be out of a career.

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    We still live in the times where recipes rule.

6. May 29, 2015 #5
    Secrets? Why keep it a secret? I thought the whole point of chemistry and physics was to discover how the world works. If these "Secrets" were made available to everyone, people might have the ability to come up with great ideas or debunk other theories throught experiment. Most of what we learn from textbooks in university is how to quickly memorize facts ,because there is so much we need to learn in a short amount of time - It's so boring and uninspiring. I don't see how anyone profits from keeping already discovered experiments secret from each? It just slows down everything. Someone must know? Then again, I live a poor mans life and love to share my knowledge for free. All i really need is clean water, food, cellphone, computer and a small place to live, everything else is just frivolous luxury.Hiding things from people or trying to outpreform other people has always made me feel quite miserable, disconnected and cold, but helping people understand something they had a hard time understanding makes me happy.

7. May 29, 2015 #6
    I think i found some books that actually go into depth with the experiments/reasoning so i thought I'd share the titles with people of same curiosity as me. However It's only from reading peoples reviews that i think they go into depth with the actual experiments. I'd have to read them first to judge myself. Maybe some of you already know these books?

Books
    Asimov's New Guide to Science - Isaac Asimov
    The development of modern chemistry - Aron J
    Journey Through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics

8. May 29, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Nonsense. Physical experiments are described in publications, with the purpose of getting repeated by others (if you are the only one to do an experiment, nobody will believe your results).

Old publications are a good starting point, for important experiments they are often available in the internet.

9. May 29, 2015 #8
    Every generation of scientists invent different symbols to describe the same sets of previous circumstances -that which is exclusive and most meaningful to the present educated generation. Every structured occupation does this.

10. Jun 5, 2015 #9
    Thank you, I'll try finding some online as well as read good books from amazon.

11. Jun 12, 2015 #10
    I think i found another good book. I'll keep looking!

Experiments in Modern Physics - Adrian C

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted