I'm conducting an Experiment -- Moving my hand through a wall

In summary, 16-year-old high school student wants to showcase his experiment demonstrating that vibration can move objects through walls. His setup includes putty, motors, duct tape and a marble. He does trials without vibration, trials with vibration, and compares the results. The putty easily separates when hit with a marble, but the wall is not moved. When chopped off and liquefied, the hand becomes a powder that can be spread on the wall and water sprayed through it to create an effect similar to what was achieved with the original wall.
snakelgur
Hey, I would like to showcase my experiment I'm doing. I'm 16, in high school, and the only science I know is chemistry. But that was a default class. I'm learning about Quantum Physics on my free time. and would very much like to become a scientist in that field. To start off this is kind of a mix of Pseudoscience, and Quantum Physics. But mainly the Quantum side. Here's the explanation of the experiment. I would basically like to move my hand through a wall, without disrupting any of its physical properties. This can be done (in theory) with immense vibration. For example, you put rice in a cup. With a marble on top of the rice. The rice represent the molecules. And if you add vibration to the equation, the marble starts to sink.
My setup:
I have putty, and a marble. 3, 1.5 volt dc motors. Each with an alligator clip on. I put the 3 motors around a thick circle. I personally use a roll of duct tape. I lay the putty flat, as smooth and even as I can get it on the roll above the hollow space. I put the marble on the putty, and record the sinking time. I do 3 trials without the vibration, record them. 3 with vibration, and do the same. So far I did 1 trial with vibration, and it is a shorter time, then the 3 trials without vibration. I basically would like to talk to people about this experiment, and would also like some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
snakelgur said:
. I would basically like to move my hand through a wall, without disrupting any of its physical properties. This can be done (in theory) with immense vibration.

No it can't. Vibration will not allow you to move your hand through an object.

snakelgur said:
For example, you put rice in a cup. With a marble on top of the rice. The rice represent the molecules. And if you add vibration to the equation, the marble starts to sink.

That's because the rice grains are not bound to each other and are able to move into empty space and allow the marble to sink (much like putting a heavy object into water). The same is not true of a wall. In a wall, the atoms are all bonded together and you can't get them to move apart without permanently breaking their bonds. In other words, in order to move your fist through a wall, you'd need to put a hole in the wall. The application of enough force should do the trick, but it's going to hurt like hell.

snakelgur said:
I have putty, and a marble. 3, 1.5 volt dc motors. Each with an alligator clip on. I put the 3 motors around a thick circle. I personally use a roll of duct tape. I lay the putty flat, as smooth and even as I can get it on the roll above the hollow space. I put the marble on the putty, and record the sinking time. I do 3 trials without the vibration, record them. 3 with vibration, and do the same. So far I did 1 trial with vibration, and it is a shorter time, then the 3 trials without vibration. I basically would like to talk to people about this experiment, and would also like some help.

The putty is very ductile*, which means that the molecules making up the putty aren't strongly bonded to each other and can easily be separated as the putty is stretched by the force of the marble. If the marble passes through the putty it does so by putting a hole in it.

*I hope that's the right term. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

snakelgur said:
I would basically like to move my hand through a wall, without disrupting any of its physical properties.
There is no currently known scientific theory that suggests that that might be remotely possible. In particular, quantum mechanical tunnelling (which has nothing to do with vibrations) doesn't do what you're thinking it does.

Also, check out https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/you-will-not-tunnel-through-a-wall/

I'll probably get into trouble for this... But, I cannot help it. :DD

Chop off your hand, liquefy the fleshy parts and turn the solid remains into a fine powder. Then, remove the wall (I assume one piece of unprimed sheetrock) and place it on the floor into a box that catches matter and prevents water from running off the sides. Spread the ash thinly onto the dry surface. Now, slowly spread a small amount of the liquid remains onto the wall. Shake and rub vigorously while you spray water and force your hand through the other side. Repeat as needed. Allow to air dry and rehang. The matter in the box should be equivalent to the hand and water used (and maybe some sheetrock dust). The physical properties wouldn't be any more dramatically altered than lumber left outside for years and would retain it's usefulness as a wall. Your hand though...

And, there you go, it could be possible to 'move' your hand through a wall. :))

Likes Tom.G
...thread locked.

Likes Tazerfish, cnh1995 and davenn

1. Can you really move your hand through a wall?

As a scientist, I am conducting an experiment to test the possibility of moving my hand through a wall. I cannot confirm or deny the outcome until the experiment is completed and the results are analyzed.

2. How are you planning to move your hand through a wall?

I am using a combination of scientific methods and technologies, such as advanced imaging and manipulation techniques, to attempt to move my hand through the wall. This experiment is still in its early stages and the exact method is still being refined.

3. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to push the boundaries of scientific knowledge and explore the possibilities of manipulating physical objects through solid barriers. This could have potential applications in a variety of fields, such as medicine and construction.

4. Have you had any success in moving your hand through the wall?

As mentioned before, this experiment is still ongoing and the results are yet to be determined. However, initial tests have shown promising results, and I am continuing to refine the methods and conduct more trials to gather more data.

5. What are the potential implications of being able to move through solid objects?

If successful, this experiment could have significant implications in various industries and fields, such as transportation, security, and construction. It could also enhance our understanding of the laws of physics and open up new possibilities for scientific advancements.