Want to learn more about phase transitions

In summary, phase transitions refer to the changes in physical properties of a substance as it transitions from one state to another, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. These transitions are governed by specific conditions, such as temperature and pressure, and are important in fields such as material science and thermodynamics. Studying phase transitions can provide insight into the behavior of matter and help in the development of new materials and technologies.
dEdt
I realized yesterday that I don't know nearly as much as I would like about the physics of phase transitions. How do bubbles form when water boils? How do condensation nuclei work? I had a whole host of questions that I didn't feel adequately able to answer.

Can anyone recommend a good physical chemistry (or just physics if that's better) text that describes in detail the physics of phase transitions?

PS I'm not afraid of thermodynamics

Chemistry news on Phys.org
try "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics". It is a general thermodynamics book with a good introduction to phase transitions.

If that's too basic, then the grad level "Elements of Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena" is good.

However, the 2nd book is highly theoretical and is mostly about *how to calculate stuff*.

chill_factor said:
try "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics". It is a general thermodynamics book with a good introduction to phase transitions.

If that's too basic, then the grad level "Elements of Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena" is good.

However, the 2nd book is highly theoretical and is mostly about *how to calculate stuff*.

I had a look at both texts, and they aren't what I'm really looking for. I'm aiming for a qualitative understanding of phase transitions.

I'll give you an example: when a liquid boils, large bubbles form spontaneously from the bulk of the liquid. When the liquid is below boiling temperature, are there no bubbles being formed? Or are there bubbles formed, but they stay too small to see?

I have a whole host of questions like these, and rather than ask them individually I'd like to read something so I can get acquainted with the basic theory. I'm not looking for anything too advanced or quantitative.

Try this book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691150753/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It takes a look at phase transitions in things like biochemistry (abiotic evolution, virus dynamics, critical genome size), cell biology (cells, gene networks, cancer), ecology (disease modeling, green-desert transitions), sociology (traffic) and finance (stock market crashes).

Here's another book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642094082/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its a thermodynamics book, but it has a strong section on phase transitions in polymers, liquid crystals, etc. and 2 sections on phase transitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can definitely understand your curiosity about phase transitions and the physics behind them. It's always great to see someone eager to learn more about a specific topic. To answer your question about how bubbles form when water boils, it is due to the rapid conversion of liquid water into gas, creating pockets of steam that rise to the surface and form bubbles. This process is known as nucleation, and it is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities.

In terms of a recommended text, I would suggest "Introduction to Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena" by H. Eugene Stanley. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the physics of phase transitions, including topics such as thermodynamics, nucleation, and critical phenomena. It also includes numerous examples and applications to help deepen your understanding of the subject.

Additionally, I would also recommend exploring other resources such as online lectures, scientific articles, and even attending seminars or workshops related to phase transitions. These can provide a more interactive and hands-on approach to learning about this fascinating topic.

And don't be afraid of thermodynamics! It may seem intimidating at first, but it is a fundamental concept in understanding phase transitions and is essential for any scientist studying this field. I wish you all the best in your journey to learn more about phase transitions and the amazing world of physics.

1. What is a phase transition?

A phase transition is a physical or chemical process in which a substance changes from one state to another, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas.

2. What causes phase transitions to occur?

Phase transitions occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or composition of a substance. These changes can alter the interactions between particles, leading to a change in the substance's state.

3. How are phase transitions important in everyday life?

Phase transitions play a crucial role in various natural and man-made processes, such as cooking, weather patterns, and the functioning of electronic devices. They also have applications in industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, and materials science.

4. Can phase transitions be reversed?

Some phase transitions can be reversed by changing the conditions that caused them. For example, water can change from liquid to gas (evaporation) and back to liquid (condensation) by altering the temperature and pressure. However, some phase transitions are irreversible, such as the melting of a substance.

5. What is the importance of studying phase transitions?

Studying phase transitions allows scientists to understand the behavior of matter and how it changes under different conditions. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as materials science, engineering, and medicine, to develop new and improved products and processes.