Want to learn Quantum Mechanics - How do I start?

In summary, it would be helpful for you to first learn Hamiltonian mechanics and some advanced math concepts before diving into introductory books like Sakurai or Shankar's Quantum Mechanics. Additionally, it may be beneficial to read from multiple sources to gain different perspectives and a better understanding.
nishraptor
I am an engineering student with an interest in quantum mechanics : However, I really need to make a flowchart so I can understand where to proceed

What I know:
Math -
Multivariable calculus, Differential Equations including laplace and Fourier series, and Basic Linear Algebra (Spaces, Diagonalization, QR)

Physics- Mechanics, Dynamics, Waves, Optics, E&M and Maxwell's equations

I'm thinking of starting with an Introductory book - either Sakurai or Shankar(Any preference anyone?)

However, my main questions are A) With my given knowledge are those books a good place to start? and B) Can anyone give me a good path to proceed afterwards?

Thank you all so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
A light weight alternative would be Susskinds book Quantum Mechanics the Theoretical Minimum

nishraptor said:
I am an engineering student with an interest in quantum mechanics : However, I really need to make a flowchart so I can understand where to proceed

What I know:
Math -
Multivariable calculus, Differential Equations including laplace and Fourier series, and Basic Linear Algebra (Spaces, Diagonalization, QR)

I'm thinking of starting with an Introductory book - either Sakurai or Shankar(Any preference anyone?)

However, my main questions are A) With my given knowledge are those books a good place to start? and B) Can anyone give me a good path to proceed afterwards?

Thank you all so much!

I would learn some Hamiltonian dynamics first. It's not necessary, but it will make a lot of things much clearer. Try also to do some dual spaces in linear algebra, and inner product spaces. Tensor products might be a good thing to know too.

It might be useful to see some classical mechanics that includes introductory material on Lagrangians and Hamiltonians, but maybe this isn't strictly necessary before beginning quantum mechanics.

In North America, Sakurai is a standard graduate textbook.

As a beginning book, one possibility is "Quantum Mechanics" by David McIntyre,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321765796/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend to have a look at QMSE1 (and then at QMSE2) video course on https://lagunita.stanford.edu and/or at a book "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller.
It addresses people with no advanced background in math and physics (introducing some math stuff where necessary) and yet is quite serious and covers pretty much.

Likes dextercioby
nishraptor said:

What I know:
Math -

What level did you see these topics at? I'm guessing you took two years of calculus and the intro physics sequence. You don't mention any modern physics. You might want to start with going over the chapters on basic quantum mechanics in your intro physics book.

These texts might be too advanced for you. As George noted, Sakurai is a text used in graduate school. You probably want to find a book suitable for an upper-division quantum mechanics course.

You'll probably need to learn some more advanced math as well, so I recommend getting a good book on mathematical methods in physics.

Thanks for the advice - I'm taking a class on modern physics next quarter.

My plan is now to
- Read up on Hamiltonians and Lagrangian Mechanics
- Start Griffith's Introductin to Quantum Mechanics/Read Feynman's Volume III
- Move to Shankar or Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics

Any comment's on this plan or Any suggestions on where to proceed afterwards?

Thank you everyone!

:welcome:

I would say that you should feel free to try and read a first few chapters of Griffiths/Feynman/Sakurai/Shankar simultaneously. Each offers a different perspective that complements each other.

Feynman's introduction is more conceptual and focuses on the double slit experiment. The first chapter of Sakurai is mostly finite dimensional linear algebra and a quick-and-dirty introduction to dual spaces and the infinite dimensional linear algebra. Shankar has a more thorough introduction to the math and Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. He also shows you how the infinite dimensional case is a continuum limit of the finite dimensional case. Griffiths immediately jumps into the Schrodinger equation in an infinite dimensions and tells you what to calculate.

After all that, you'll probably have a better idea of what you want to do afterward.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. Why should I learn Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a fundamental theory that explains many phenomena in the physical world, including the behavior of particles, atoms, and molecules. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. What are the basic concepts of Quantum Mechanics?

The basic concepts of Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, and quantization. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles and energy at the quantum level.

4. How do I start learning Quantum Mechanics?

To start learning Quantum Mechanics, you can begin by studying the basic principles and concepts, such as those mentioned above. You can also enroll in a course or read books on the subject. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Quantum Mechanics, such as online courses, video lectures, textbooks, and interactive simulations. Some popular resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, and Khan Academy.