1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted: complete errata sheet for quantum mechanics demystified

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    yo.

today I got "quantum mechanics demystified", and I heard it has a lot of typos. Can you list them all for me (in tex if possible)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    the author's errata sheet doens't list all the typos.

can someone please find ALL of them?

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4

j93

working on it captain

6. Jun 21, 2009 #5
    Is that a good book? Just wondering, might buy it.

7. Jun 22, 2009 #6
    it has so many ****in mistakes. sumtimes whole pages are replete w/ typos.

8. Jun 22, 2009 #7
    The book has much deeper problems than the typos. Even his definition of a group is wrong.

9. Jun 22, 2009 #8

Doc Al

I would not recommend this book.

10. Jun 22, 2009 #9
    Doc, I was just wondering..whats your opinion of the QFT demystified book?

11. Jun 22, 2009 #10

Doc Al

Sadly, what little QFT knowledge I once had has atrophied long ago, so I cannot give an informed opinion. :frown: But I did give that book a look, and own several of his others (including the quantum and relativity ones); I do not care for any of them. (Which is not to say that some good stuff cannot be gleaned from them, numerous mistakes notwithstanding, if you know where to look. Nonetheless, I'd give them a pass.)

12. Jun 22, 2009 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have some old threads about that particular book.

MY opinion is that it COULD be good if there were less typos and better organized, e.g. sometimes he just repeats the definition of things on the very next page, and refer reader to wrong chapters.

It contains some good stuff although, but I one has to know the stuff before I guess, otherwise one will not get far with all the typos etc.

13. Jun 22, 2009 #12
    From reading the Amazon reviews, it's not just the density of typos that's the problem with the QFT book, it's that he makes many flat out wrong statements about the physics.

On a subject I'm more familiar with, I can't imagine anyone being "demystified" by his relativity book. It's just an info dump.

As for a good, cheap QM book, maybe the book by Park that has been reprinted by Dover.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  14. Jun 23, 2009 #13
    [quote="jimmysnyder]The book has much deeper problems than the typos. Even his definition of a group is wrong. [/quote]
    Where does he give the definition of the group? What is the correct definition? I wanted all the errors, not just the typoes.

No wonder everyone hates demystified books. I have a lot of them because they sell them at Barnes &Noble.

What are you guys' opinions on the string theory demystified book?

15. Jun 23, 2009 #14

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Page 50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)#Definition

Have not studying it, A First Course in String Theory is the best intro text

16. Sep 7, 2011 #15
    guys guys guys. i bought the book with enthusiasm to begin to understand the mechanics of the quantum world. i have to say that for and outsider (i am a computer engineer with no quantum related physics background) the book is rather good. it is giving different examples. if you are a physicst or in a more related area the book might be too simple for you. but i liked it. the only bad thing about the book is the famous errors. for a self study man like me, it is crucial to know if i did it wrong or right and i cant be sure of that for this book.. other than that i like this kind of books ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook