Wanting clarification on Centrifugal force

In summary, Centrifugal force is the force that causes an object to deviate from a straight line in a circle, while Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circle. The car tires provide enough static friction to act as the centripetal force, while loose objects in the car will continue to move in a straight line without a centripetal force. The driver may feel a "sliding" sensation towards the side of the car, but the seat-belt prevents this from happening. It's important to remember that Centrifugal force is not a real physical force, but rather a description of the lack of a Centripetal force.
RoyceB
I was wondering if someone could help dissect my understanding of Centrifugal force and explain any errors in my logic. So imagining that I am driving a car and making a right turn. I make the right turn and am forced into the side of the door. I feel a force acting on me but after I make my turn and adjust my position I no longer feel it. I am wondering if during that turn that feeling I have of being pushed is a centrifugal force. My body wants to continue straight due to Inertia but I make the turn and my body fights against it. I guess my main question is, is the Centripetal Force less than the Centrifugal Force or once I am touching the door they become equal. I am not sure if I am making sense. But the Centrifugal force is causing me to move away from the center of the circle and do I not have a Centripetal Force acting on me until I reach the door or do I always have it when moving in a circle. I am wondering if someone could lay it out and remove the incorrect thoughts I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force that causes you to deviate from a straight line (in a circle) is the centripetal force as in F = M a.
The force that you exert on the door is the centrifugal force which is a reaction force and not
to be considered in the solution.
Remember also, Newton's first law.

The car tires on the road have a enough static friction to act as centripetal force which forces the car to make the turn. Any loose objects in the car that do not have enough friction to act as a centripetal force will continue to move in a straight line (due to the absence of a centripetal force) and from the driver's point of view will seem to slide to the side of the car (or outside of the car if the window is open). The same is happening to the driver, except that you will have the seat-belt to stop you from sliding to the side of the car. Careful when saying Centrifugal force, Centrifugal force isn't an actual physical force, it is used to describe the lack of a Centripetal force.

RoyceB said:
I make the right turn and am forced into the side of the door.

It's better to think of the door being forced into you. Your body tries to go straight on but the car is turning due to the centripetal force which acts towards the centre of the turn.

Likes cabraham

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is an apparent or fictitious force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pushing the object away from the center of rotation. It is caused by the inertia of the object and its tendency to continue moving in a straight line.

2. How does centrifugal force differ from centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the actual force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling the object towards the center of rotation. Centrifugal force is the perceived or fictitious force that appears to push the object away from the center due to its inertia.

3. Is centrifugal force a real force?

No, centrifugal force is not a true force. It is an apparent force that arises due to the frame of reference in which the object is observed. In an inertial frame of reference, where there is no acceleration, centrifugal force does not exist.

4. How is centrifugal force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Centrifugal force is not explicitly mentioned in Newton's laws of motion. However, it can be explained by the first law of motion, which states that an object will continue moving in a straight line unless acted upon by a net force. In the case of circular motion, centrifugal force is the reaction force to the centripetal force that keeps the object in its circular path.

5. Can centrifugal force be applied in everyday life?

Yes, centrifugal force can be observed and applied in many everyday situations, such as when riding a bike around a curve or when a car takes a sharp turn. It is also used in industries such as centrifuges, where it is used to separate substances of different densities.