Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water can burn when 'charged up' with batteries?

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    i found this online, he puts two batteries in a glass of water for 30 minutes, then removes the batteries, and the water lights with a flame. Its been favorited by 6000 people so it seems to be popular. How does that work? i presume that its a type of electrolysis?

EDIT: DOES NOT WORK!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I am highly, highly skeptical that it is actually water burning.
    Due to the simplicity of this ‘experiment’, it is very easy to reproduce it oneself and disprove the claim.

I think the video may be a fake.
    On video, water and alcohol look identical, so it would be easy to claim it is water in the cup when, in fact, it is alcohol.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    good point! this should have gone in the debunking section. I'll try to reproduce it, but i'm not optomistic anything will happen.

5. Oct 18, 2007 #4
    I have another theory. If you notice, in the video, he specifically states to leave the batteries in the water for thirty to forty minutes. And if I'm right, the batteries which were shown on the video were energizer, which cannot be charged, for they have a chance of exploding or catching on fire. What if the water soaked through the outer covering of the batteries and dissolved the acids in the batteries? then that would certainly enable the water to "burn" for a few seconds. He might have even added more batteries and left them in, increasing the potentiality for the water to "burn" before he filmed the stunt and put it online. Then, all he had to do was do the short version: Fill a glass of water and put two batteries in it. Then, stop recording, switch it with the "charged" glass of water and add two batteries, start filming again, remove the two batteries, and light it on fire.

6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    It does not work, i looked it up elsewhere, and if you read the comments loads just say 'does not work'.

Think how many people have wasted batteries trying this, its only been up a week and its had over 1,300,000 views :biggrin:, i got pretty close to trying it myself.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  7. Oct 18, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is a hoax. Moving to skepticism/debunking, but I'm not even sure that's necessary.

I don't watch a lot of YouTube, but is there a lot of this type of thing there? This isn't the first YouTube science experiment hoax we've seen.

8. Oct 18, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't you ever heard of firewater? :biggrin:

Yes, it is alcohol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?