Water flowing out of a conical tank

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem that reminded the speaker of related rates problems. They initially tried using partial derivatives but were unable to eliminate the r terms. They then discussed using geometry to find a relationship between r and h. One speaker suggested using the Fundamental Theorem to find a more direct method without relying on a differential equation. The conversation also touched on converting units and a potential error in solving the differential equation. The problem remained incomplete and the speakers were looking for other avenues to solve it.
member 392791

For this problem, it reminds me of related rates problems, except I'm not given a constraint such as dr/dt = something at r = something.

I tried using partial derivatives to solve it, but I'm not seeing a way to get rid of the r terms, or its derivative

Attachments

• 2.9 attempt 1.pdf
    218.6 KB · Views: 207
  • problem 2.9.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 242
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know the dimensions of the conical tank, you can eliminate 'h' as a separate variable by making it a function of 'r'. This will simplify your calculations.

Use geometry to find the relationship between r and h.

I'm going to amend my earlier post and say you should eliminate 'r' instead of 'h'.

Do you mean to say that

r=√3V/(hπ)?? Because then V is reintroduced into the equation. Or is there another geometrical relationship that I am missing that will remove both V and r?

or rather plugging in the initial values given

V = (1/3)πr^2h

r = 3 and h =5

(1/3)π(3)^2(5) = 47.12

47.12 = (1/3)πr^2h
45 = (r^2)(h)
r = √(45/h)

If this is the case, what is dr/dt? Is it just √(45/h) dh/dt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Look at the tank itself. Imagine that the cone is closed at the bottom, for argument's sake. At the bottom, h = 0, and r = 0 (essentially). At the top of the tank, h = 5 m, and r = 3 m. Don't you think you can find a relationship for 'r' in terms of 'h' using these two pieces of information?

Woopydalan, it looks like you are heading towards having a differential equation to solve. There is a better way, although it takes some ingenuity to see. If you know your Fundamental Theorem, you should be able to find a more direct method.

SteamKing said:
Nope. Look at the tank itself. Imagine that the cone is closed at the bottom, for argument's sake. At the bottom, h = 0, and r = 0 (essentially). At the top of the tank, h = 5 m, and r = 3 m. Don't you think you can find a relationship for 'r' in terms of 'h' using these two pieces of information?

r = 3/5h?

would that mean dr/dt = 3/5h dh/dt or is it 3/5 dh/dt? I think its the latter, but not sure. I'm rusty with the math, summer came and went =(

verty said:
Woopydalan, it looks like you are heading towards having a differential equation to solve. There is a better way, although it takes some ingenuity to see. If you know your Fundamental Theorem, you should be able to find a more direct method.

Which Fundamental Theorem?

Here is my 2nd attempt, I'm interested in the method that doesn't rely on a differential equation, but is this correct?

Attachments

• 2.9 attempt 2.pdf
    260 KB · Views: 260
Woopydalan said:
Here is my 2nd attempt, I'm interested in the method that doesn't rely on a differential equation, but is this correct?

It seems OK. The original rate of flow out of the tank was given in units of m^3/min. Where did you convert this to m^3/s? Otherwise, the time for the outflow will be in minutes rather than seconds.

Likes 1 person
Upon further inspection, in my calculator I had it in degree mode, and in actuality the integral evaluates as -1.64 if in radian mode, which means time is negative, which shouldn't be the case.

Did something go wrong in my solving for the differential equation?

bumping, this problem is still incomplete as far as I know. Anyone have some clues for other avenues I should look or where in my analysis I have gone wrong?

I think, because ##dh## was negative, the left hand side should be negative.

I mean shouldn't doing the integral from 5 -> 3.15 m take care of that though?

What is the Conical Tank Experiment?

The Conical Tank Experiment is an experiment used to study the flow of water out of a conical tank. A conical tank is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a cone and has a circular base.

What is the purpose of the Conical Tank Experiment?

The purpose of the Conical Tank Experiment is to observe and analyze the rate of water flow out of a conical tank. By varying the height of the water level in the tank and the size of the outlet, the experiment aims to understand the factors that affect the flow rate of water from the tank.

How does the shape of the tank affect the flow of water?

The shape of the tank affects the flow of water because it changes the surface area and volume of the water in the tank. In a conical tank, the surface area and volume decrease as the water level decreases, resulting in a decreasing flow rate.

What is the relationship between the height of the water level and the flow rate?

The height of the water level has a direct relationship with the flow rate. As the water level increases, the flow rate increases, and as the water level decreases, the flow rate decreases. This is because a higher water level means a larger surface area and volume, resulting in a faster flow rate.

What factors can affect the flow rate of water in the Conical Tank Experiment?

The factors that can affect the flow rate of water in the Conical Tank Experiment include the height of the water level, the size of the outlet, the shape and size of the tank, and the viscosity of the water. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the flow rate.