1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water flowing out of a conical tank

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, it reminds me of related rates problems, except I'm not given a constraint such as dr/dt = something at r = something.

I tried using partial derivatives to solve it, but I'm not seeing a way to get rid of the r terms, or its derivative

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you know the dimensions of the conical tank, you can eliminate 'h' as a separate variable by making it a function of 'r'. This will simplify your calculations.

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Use geometry to find the relationship between r and h.

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm going to amend my earlier post and say you should eliminate 'r' instead of 'h'.

6. Sep 13, 2013 #5
    Do you mean to say that

r=√3V/(hπ)?? Because then V is reintroduced into the equation. Or is there another geometrical relationship that I am missing that will remove both V and r?

or rather plugging in the initial values given

V = (1/3)πr^2h

r = 3 and h =5

(1/3)π(3)^2(5) = 47.12

47.12 = (1/3)πr^2h
    45 = (r^2)(h)
    r = √(45/h)

If this is the case, what is dr/dt? Is it just √(45/h) dh/dt?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. Sep 13, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. Look at the tank itself. Imagine that the cone is closed at the bottom, for argument's sake. At the bottom, h = 0, and r = 0 (essentially). At the top of the tank, h = 5 m, and r = 3 m. Don't you think you can find a relationship for 'r' in terms of 'h' using these two pieces of information?

8. Sep 13, 2013 #7

verty

Homework Helper

Woopydalan, it looks like you are heading towards having a differential equation to solve. There is a better way, although it takes some ingenuity to see. If you know your Fundamental Theorem, you should be able to find a more direct method.

9. Sep 13, 2013 #8
    r = 3/5h?

would that mean dr/dt = 3/5h dh/dt or is it 3/5 dh/dt? I think its the latter, but not sure. I'm rusty with the math, summer came and went =(

10. Sep 13, 2013 #9
    Which Fundamental Theorem?

11. Sep 13, 2013 #10
    Here is my 2nd attempt, I'm interested in the method that doesn't rely on a differential equation, but is this correct?

Attached Files:

12. Sep 13, 2013 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It seems OK. The original rate of flow out of the tank was given in units of m^3/min. Where did you convert this to m^3/s? Otherwise, the time for the outflow will be in minutes rather than seconds.

13. Sep 13, 2013 #12
    Upon further inspection, in my calculator I had it in degree mode, and in actuality the integral evaluates as -1.64 if in radian mode, which means time is negative, which shouldn't be the case.

Did something go wrong in my solving for the differential equation?

14. Sep 14, 2013 #13
    bumping, this problem is still incomplete as far as I know. Anyone have some clues for other avenues I should look or where in my analysis I have gone wrong?

15. Sep 15, 2013 #14

verty

Homework Helper

I think, because ##dh## was negative, the left hand side should be negative.

16. Sep 15, 2013 #15
    I mean shouldn't doing the integral from 5 -> 3.15 m take care of that though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted