Water volume, flow and speed question.

In summary, the water flow generated by a pump that delivers 31.8 liters per minute at 1 bar would be equivalent to the speed of a pump that delivers 6.5 liters per minute at 3.5 bars.
rodnjo
Hi,
First I would like to apologise for my lack of understanding in this area, this is all new for me.

I am designing a water feature (hopefully a working one).
I have a pump that will deliver 31.8 L/min through a 19mm pipe at 1 bar.

If 31.8 litre of water = 31,800 cm³ and if
the volume of pipe to hold 31,800 cm³ would need to be 112.215 metres long.
r .95² x π = 2.83385 cm³
31,800 cm³ ÷ 2.83385 cm³ = 11,221.483 cm
11,221.483 cm ÷ 100 = 112.21483 metres

Q. Does this mean that 31.8 L/min would be equivalent to the speed of 112.21483 m/min.

Q. If I had the pipe from the pump (obviously not 112 metres long) flowing on to a 20 cm diameter water wheel, would the wheel speed be approximately 112.21483 m/min.

Q. Is it the volume of water flow or the pressure that generates the power.
Would a larger pipe providing more volume but less pressure increase the wheel speed or
Would it be a smaller pipe providing less volume but a higher pressure.

Q. Is it possible to calculate the Horse Power or Kilowatts generated by the water flow or pressure on the wheel.

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
rodnjo said:
Q. Does this mean that 31.8 L/min would be equivalent to the speed of 112.21483 m/min.
I didn't check your math, but the logic looked right. So yes.
Q. If I had the pipe from the pump (obviously not 112 metres long) flowing on to a 20 cm diameter water wheel, would the wheel speed be approximately 112.21483 m/min.
Yes, assuming there wasn't any resistance on it to slow it down.
Q. Is it the volume of water flow or the pressure that generates the power.
Both. Power is pressure times flow rate.
Would a larger pipe providing more volume but less pressure increase the wheel speed or
Would it be a smaller pipe providing less volume but a higher pressure.
Higher velocity means more wheel speed, but only if there isn't any resistance on the wheel. Once you attach a generator to it, all this goes out the window. But...
Q. Is it possible to calculate the Horse Power or Kilowatts generated by the water flow or pressure on the wheel.
A good pump or turbine is about 50% efficient, so the power you can generate from a setup like this would be about half of the power of the pump used to push the water (unless there are other losses...). That begs the question: why would you want to do such a thing?

Its only for a water feature in a garden setting, I was intending to have a small generator connected to the wheel to power a few 12v low watt garden lights with the generator in a small house and the wheel on the side. I know there is other ways to achieve this, I am not trying to save power it was for more of a novelty type scaled down generator house look. So you switch on the pump and the wheel and generator power the lighting around the water feature.

The submersible water pump only uses 5 Amps so its not to bad.

Thank you very much for your reply, a least I know I am sort of on the right track.

Regards

Last edited:
Another question regarding the above post.

Which would have the higher velocity.
A pump delivering 31.8 l/min at 1 bar or

A pump delivering 6.5 l/min at 3.5 bar

or if you can tell me have to work this out I will.

1. What is the difference between water volume, flow, and speed?

Water volume refers to the amount of water present in a given area, typically measured in cubic meters. Water flow refers to the rate at which water is moving through a particular area, usually measured in cubic meters per second. Water speed, on the other hand, refers to the rate at which water is moving per unit of time, typically measured in meters per second.

2. How is water volume, flow, and speed measured?

Water volume can be measured using various methods such as using a measuring cup, a graduated cylinder, or a flow meter. Water flow can be measured by using a flow meter or by calculating the cross-sectional area of a stream or river and multiplying it by the average velocity. Water speed can be measured using a current meter or by timing how long it takes for an object to travel a known distance in the water.

3. What factors affect water volume, flow, and speed?

The factors that affect water volume, flow, and speed include the slope of the land, the size and shape of the channel, the amount of rainfall, and the presence of obstacles such as rocks and vegetation. Additionally, the season and climate can also impact these factors.

4. How does water volume, flow, and speed impact ecosystems?

The volume, flow, and speed of water can have a significant impact on ecosystems. Changes in water volume and flow can affect the distribution and availability of nutrients for plants and animals, while changes in water speed can impact the survival and reproduction of aquatic organisms. Additionally, changes in water volume and flow can also lead to changes in water temperature and oxygen levels, which can further affect the health of ecosystems.

5. How can we measure and monitor changes in water volume, flow, and speed over time?

To measure and monitor changes in water volume, flow, and speed over time, scientists use instruments such as flow meters, water level recorders, and sediment samplers. They also collect data on precipitation and streamflow to track changes in water volume and flow. Additionally, remote sensing technologies such as satellites and drones can also be used to monitor changes in water volume and flow over larger areas.