Water waves vs. other wave types

In summary, as water waves approach the shore, their amplitude increases due to energy conservation. This behavior is similar to that of a wave traveling through a denser medium. However, when considering other types of waves, such as sound waves or waves on a string, an increase in density would result in a decrease in amplitude. This is due to the relationship between intensity and the square root of the bulk modulus and density, as well as the square of the displacement amplitude. Despite this, the equations for gravity surface waves in water contain a dispersion term that is not present in simpler wave forms.
zacman2400
I know that as water waves get closer to shore, amplitude increases via energy conservation, and from what I have read shallow water behaves analogously to an increasingly dense medium (or at least higher index of refraction). If I try and extend this analogy to sound wave/wave on string/earthquakes in a more dense medium, I find that the amplitude should decrease. Consider the sound wave first: Intensity is proportional to square root of the bulk modulus of the material and density, it is also proportional to the square of the displacement amplitude. Assume minimal reflection between the two media. If the density increases, the amplitude should decrease somewhat..however this reasoning does not feel correct. I just need some idea of how or where my reasoning is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations for gravity surface waves in water contain a dispersion term, not present in simpler wave forms such as the acoustic waves you mention.

Last edited:

1. What makes water waves different from other wave types?

Water waves are unique in that they are created by the interaction of wind, gravity, and the surface tension of water. Other wave types, such as sound waves or light waves, are created by different means and have different properties.

2. How do water waves travel?

Water waves travel by transferring energy from one water molecule to the next. As the wind blows over the surface of the water, it creates ripples that grow into larger waves. These waves then move through the water, but the water itself stays in the same general location.

3. Can water waves occur in any type of water?

Yes, water waves can occur in any body of water, including oceans, lakes, and even swimming pools. However, the size and strength of the waves may vary depending on factors such as the depth and temperature of the water.

4. How do water waves compare to electromagnetic waves?

Water waves and electromagnetic waves are fundamentally different types of waves. Water waves require a medium, in this case water, to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, water waves are transverse waves, meaning that the particles of water move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, whereas electromagnetic waves are longitudinal, with particles moving parallel to the direction of the wave.

5. Are water waves affected by the shape of the coastline?

Yes, the shape of the coastline can have a significant impact on the behavior of water waves. For example, when waves encounter a headland, they can refract or bend around it, causing changes in their direction and strength. Similarly, the shape of a bay or harbor can affect the size and intensity of waves within it.