Waterloo SIN contest question (springs and energy)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem from a PDF where the question asks for the minimum constant force needed to move two boxes connected by a spring, and the solution provided uses an average force instead of the peak force required to dislodge the second box. This causes confusion and a discussion about the dynamics of the system ensues, ultimately leading to the realization that the minimum steady-state force needed is actually 2umg.
fchen720

Homework Statement

Both the question and solution are on this link (Question 7):
http://sin.uwaterloo.ca/solutions_2012.pdf

I understand the solution they provided, but I think the question is misleading and should not have been worded that way. I just want to clarify if I'm right or not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought that no matter what the spring was doing in the middle, the force applied must be the sum of the frictions of both boxes, or 2umg. If the boxes were connected I know the force would definitely be 2umg, and it seemed illogical that adding a little spring would give me free energy.

In case the handwriting is hard to read:
Wtotal = Wspring + Wbox1
Ftotal * x = 0.5kx^2 + Fbox1 * x
Ftotal = 0.5kx + Fbox1

Then they said that since that the force applied by the spring is equal to the force of friction on the box2:

kx = umg

Ftotal = 0.5umg + umg
= 1.5 umg

I don't think it's fair to say that the force I need to apply is 1.5umg because I can rewrite: Wspring = Faverage * x
therefore
Ftotal = Faverage + Fbox1

So shouldn't Ftotal just be the average force that I need to apply, and not the full force once the spring is fully stretched?
If I can only apply 1.5umg of force and no more, shouldn't I not be able to move the box since I can't apply the full 2umg for the spring to stretch fully?

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking for a spring in the PDF. Cannonballs instead.

NVM. My problem. Now I see it.

What part of the question did you think was misleading or not worded properly? How should it have been stated to be more clear?

My problem with the question is that I shouldn't be able to move both boxes by applying
1.5umg. Maybe the average force is 1.5umg as I'm stretching the spring, but shouldn't I eventually need to apply 2umg for the spring to fully stretch? If I'm correct, the answer should be 2umg.

Got it-- your problem is with the answer. I agree with your answer using FBD analysis.

I think I see where the logic breaks down:
fchen720 said:
In case the handwriting is hard to read:
Wtotal = Wspring + Wbox1
Ftotal * x = 0.5kx^2 + Fbox1 * x
When you decompose Wtotal into Ftotal * x, Ftotal does not represent the maximum applied force. The force applied varies from umg when x = 0+ to (umg + kx) at x.

What you end up with is the average force, not the peak force required to dislodge m2.

[the term "Ftotal" is what is misleading-- it should be "Faverage" to be precise, and that is not what you are looking for]

Last edited:
Thank you for replying Lewando. Much appreciated!

lewando said:
When you decompose Wtotal into Ftotal * x, Ftotal does not represent the maximum applied force. The force applied varies from umg when x = 0+ to (umg + kx) at x.

What you end up with is the average force, not the peak force required to dislodge m2.

This is not correct. The force being applied is constant.

I think what is confusing is that this is not a statics problem. The mass on the right is accelerating and the force the right side of the spring is applying is not simply kx at any instant in time.

You can see this by drawing a free body diagram for the right mass, positive x coordinates to the right.

You have the constant (minimum) force F pulling to the right and you have some force Fs pulling to the left. Then:

(F - Fs) = ma
Fs = F - ma

where acceleration is positive to the right. Presumably a minimum applied force would have the right mass slowing down (ie decelerating) just as the first mass was about to move. This means a < 0 and Fs applied by the spring is greater than F.

Now that I re-read the problem statement, I see-- "minimum constant force". Clear as day. This was missed. Apologies to fchen720 for not picking that up. Good catch, aralbrec.

So the minimum steady-state force required to continuously move m2 is indeed 2umg, but that is not what the question is asking. If I understand, a constant force just incrementally larger than 1.5umg will move m2 incrementally, satisfying the question, but then m2 will stop, permanently.

lewando said:
So the minimum steady-state force required to continuously move m2 is indeed 2umg, but that is not what the question is asking. If I understand, a constant force just incrementally larger than 1.5umg will move m2 incrementally, satisfying the question, but then m2 will stop, permanently.

Yes, I'd agree with that. What will happen if (1.5umg < F < 2umg) is that the left mass will stop and slip repeatedly (slipping both left and right) as the right mass shuffles back and forth in a damped sinusoidal motion. The friction will eventually cause all motion to stop and the right mass will be located at a fixed distance to the right of the left mass such that kx = F. If F > 2umg, you will see the left and right masses initially have a sinusoidal element superimposed on their right motion but eventually the friction damps out the sinusoidal motion and the masses settle into a constant separation set by F=kx, but both masses continue to accelerate to the right and never stop moving once they start to move.

The surprising part of the question is the realization that a moving mass has inertia so in the beginning, the right mass accelerates according to F=ma and as the spring stretches, the acceleration decreases but because of the motion, the spring stretches much more than F=kx before the right mass comes to a rest. This means the force experience at the left end of the spring is greater than the applied constant force F at peak separation.

We can quickly solve for this case, take a free body diagram for the right mass, applied constant force F pulling to the right and both friction and force of the spring pulling to the left. Then we have:

(F - fr) - Fs = ma

Set Feq = F - fr (subtract constant friction from constant applied force)

Feq - Fs = ma = m d2x/dt2
m d2x/dt2 + kx - Feq = 0 ;; Fs = kx

solving this:

x(t) = (Feq/k) * (1 - cos(t√(k/m)))

x(t) is maximum when cos is -1.

xmax = 2 Feq / k

The maximum force applied by the spring is:

Fsmax = k xmax = 2 Feq = 2*(F - fr)

At the edge of motion for mass 1, the Fsmax = umg

umg = 2*(F - umg) ;; friction experienced by mass 2 is the same
F = 1.5 umgSo, same answer for the minimum force. The equation for x(t) derived above is only accurate up to the right mass stopping to move. This is because if the right mass begins to move left (and it will since at this point F < Fspring) the direction of friction force on the right mass will change from the direction assumed in the equation we started with.

Last edited:

1. What is the Waterloo SIN contest question about?

The Waterloo SIN contest question involves calculating the potential energy of a spring system and determining the maximum height the spring can reach when released.

2. How do I approach solving the Waterloo SIN contest question?

First, identify the given variables such as the spring constant and the initial and final positions of the spring. Then, use the formula for potential energy (PE = 1/2 * k * x^2) to calculate the potential energy at each position. Finally, use the law of conservation of energy to equate the potential energy at the initial position to the kinetic energy at the final position and solve for the maximum height.

3. What is the significance of the Waterloo SIN contest question?

The Waterloo SIN contest question tests your understanding of potential energy and its relationship with spring systems. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to approach and solve the question.

4. Are there any tips for solving the Waterloo SIN contest question?

Yes, make sure to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it. Also, double-check your calculations and units to avoid errors. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the spring system and its different positions.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve the Waterloo SIN contest question?

Yes, you can use a calculator for the calculations involved in solving the Waterloo SIN contest question. However, make sure to show all your work and clearly state your final answer.