Waterproof but transparent material

In summary, Plexiglas is a transparent material that is not as brittle as glass, but can distort and yellow over time. Tempered glass is a more durable option, but it can be hard to find.
Trainee Engineering
Hi all,

I'd like to know what is the most transparent material that;s waterproof, but not as brittle as glass. I want to put a "roofing" on a section in my balcony where I usually hang my clothes to dry and disinfect them under the sun, but I don't want to run all the way up everytime it rains. and the reason for "not brittle as glass" is that some times (not often), we have hails, ice cubes raining down from the sky.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lucite, perhaps?

Corrugated or multiwall polycarbonate sheets are often used for this. They can be obtained from large hardware type stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

WRT disinfecting, Polycarbonate passes UV, lucite (plexiglas) does not.

Likes CWatters
BillTre said:
Corrugated or multiwall polycarbonate sheets are often used for this. They can be obtained from large hardware type stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

WRT disinfecting, Polycarbonate passes UV, lucite (plexiglas) does not.

thanks for the reply. but I read that polycarbonate distort and degrade under constant exposure to the elements. and sometimes, they also yellow overtime. is this true?
thanks

Tempered glass, as used in autombile windows and in skylights in buildings.

Trainee Engineering said:
I read that polycarbonate distort and degrade under constant exposure to the elements. and sometimes, they also yellow overtime. is this true?

I had some outside for a few (3 or 4) years covering a large fish tank. I don't recall it yellowing or distorting. I did have it on a frame however.

You might be better off building something that you can draw out for when it does rain. Even if you put something permanent up, you are still blocking some air flow to your laundry when the protection isn't needed. And it won't look very nice.

Why can't you just go and pin them on a clothes line outside? I was helping with this on the lower lines when I was, like, at least 5/6 years old. You can make a secret hiding spot from others using sheets. When it starts sprinkling, just start running and jerking the clothes off the line. If it's close to your living quarters, then it would be quicker than that. Any quicker and you are better off getting a dryer.

Clear plexiglass would work fine for that.

RogueOne said:
Clear plexiglass would work fine for that.

Isn't that the same thing as Lucite?

Poly(methyl methacrylate) = Acrylic = the trade names (lucite = plexiglas = Prespex = Acrylite)

polycarboante = Lexan (trade name)
polycarbnonate is stronger and light passes through it better, but is made with and could release bisphenol A.

Likes Fervent Freyja
1. how large is this area ? 2. how many days of sunshine -time duration-sun angles 3. slope angle off roof 4.humidity-temp 24/7-etc.-etc. 5.cloth load! - remember ! our universe is just one of the many bubbles out there.

1. How is a material both waterproof and transparent?

A material can be both waterproof and transparent due to its molecular structure. The molecules of the material are tightly packed together, preventing water from passing through. However, the molecules are also arranged in a way that allows light to pass through, making the material transparent.

2. What are some examples of waterproof but transparent materials?

Some examples of waterproof but transparent materials include certain types of plastics, such as polycarbonate and acrylic, as well as glass and silicone.

3. Can waterproof but transparent materials be used in outdoor applications?

Yes, many waterproof but transparent materials are commonly used in outdoor applications. These materials are often used for windows, roofs, and other structures that require both water resistance and transparency.

4. Are there any downsides to using waterproof but transparent materials?

One potential downside to using waterproof but transparent materials is that they may not be as strong or durable as other materials. They may also be more expensive due to their specialized properties.

5. How can I tell if a material is both waterproof and transparent?

You can test a material's waterproof and transparent properties by exposing it to water and observing if any water passes through, and by shining a light through it and seeing if the light passes through clearly. Additionally, you can research the specific material's properties and certifications to determine its level of water resistance and transparency.