Wave and measurement question.

In summary, during a Physics exam, the conversation involved asking questions about drawing diagrams for longitudinal and transverse waves, calculating the volume of air in a laboratory using a meter rule, and identifying potential errors in measuring the volume of air.
Zoheb Imran
I just gave my Physics exam paper... and i want ask few questions and confirm if they are right...

Question asked to draw diagrams for longitudinal wave and transverse waves...
I drew transverse waves correctly... but did i correctly drew the longitudinal waves? i made a wave like transverse but with varying amplitude, frequency wavelength... so is it right?

Another question asked Students calculated the volume of air in a laboratory... with tables and windows and desks. How they did it?

I wrote: Use a Meter Rule to measure the volume of tables and desks. also measure the total volume of room. Subtract the Volume of tables and desks from total volume of room. You will get the volume of air.
State 2 errors while measuring.
1, I wrote: The students themselves occupies the volume
2, i forgot what i wrote , but what could it be?

Question A Ball is thrown "U" shaped large container It reaches to right top corner but little less in height, what would be the energy transfer? it was a mcq...
I wrote PE---> Kinetic energy +heat----> PE

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes it's best not to go searching for the answers after handing in an exam paper but if you still want to;

Zoheb Imran said:
Question asked to draw diagrams for longitudinal wave and transverse waves...
I drew transverse waves correctly... but did i correctly drew the longitudinal waves? i made a wave like transverse but with varying amplitude, frequency wavelength... so is it right?

http://www.headwize.com/images2/e_simple1.gif

Zoheb Imran said:
Another question asked Students calculated the volume of air in a laboratory... with tables and windows and desks. How they did it?

I wrote: Use a Meter Rule to measure the volume of tables and desks. also measure the total volume of room. Subtract the Volume of tables and desks from total volume of room. You will get the volume of air.
State 2 errors while measuring.
1, I wrote: The students themselves occupies the volume
2, i forgot what i wrote , but what could it be?

I'm thinking any number of rational answers. Maybe inherent errors in the measuring apparatus (equal to one unit) or the fact that you're treating the furniture as if it's cuboid as an approximation.

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot confirm if your diagrams for longitudinal and transverse waves are correct without seeing them. However, a longitudinal wave is typically represented by a series of compressions and rarefactions, while a transverse wave is represented by oscillations perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. Additionally, a longitudinal wave does not have varying amplitude, frequency, or wavelength, as these characteristics are associated with transverse waves.

For the question about calculating the volume of air in a laboratory, your method seems reasonable. However, possible errors in measurement could include not accounting for the volume of objects within the room that are not tables, desks, or windows, or not considering the thickness of the walls or ceiling.

As for the question about energy transfer in a ball being thrown into a "U" shaped container, your answer seems to be on the right track. However, it is important to note that heat is not a form of energy transfer, but rather a result of energy transfer. The correct answer would be PE --> KE + sound energy (due to the ball hitting the container).

1) What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that propagates through a medium, transferring energy without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself.

2) How is the amplitude of a wave measured?

The amplitude of a wave is measured as the maximum displacement of a point on a wave from its rest position. It is typically measured in meters (m) for transverse waves and pascals (Pa) for longitudinal waves.

3) What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: speed = wavelength x frequency.

4) How is the speed of a wave determined?

The speed of a wave can be determined by dividing the wavelength by the period of the wave. The period is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave to pass a fixed point. The speed of a wave is also affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

5) What are some real-life applications of wave measurements?

Wave measurements are used in a variety of fields, including medicine, engineering, and telecommunications. Examples of their applications include ultrasound imaging, earthquake detection, radar technology, and fiber optic communication systems. Accurate measurement of waves is crucial for the development and improvement of these technologies.