Did I calculate the acceleration and Tension correctly?

For m1, the individual forces acting on it are gravity (mg), normal force (N), and tension (T). The x-component of gravity is mg*sinθ, the x-component of the normal force is zero since it is perpendicular to the incline, and the x-component of tension is T*cosθ.
Bart Allen

Homework Statement

A frictionless surface is inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal. A 270-g block on the ramp is attached to a 75.0-g block using a pulley, as shown in Figure 4-62. (a) Draw two free-body diagrams, one for the 270-g block and the other for the 75.0-g block. (b) Find the tension in the string and the acceleration of the 270-g block. (c) The 270-g block is released from rest. How long does it take for it to slide a distance of 1.00 m along the surface? Will it slide up the incline, or down the incline?
Given: θ = 30°
m1 = 270g (0.270kg)
m2 = 75g (0.075kg)
g = 9.81m/s2

Homework Equations

Fnet = mtotala
a = Fnet / mtotal
a = F1 / m1 = m1*g*sinθ / m1

The Attempt at a Solution

So the question asks to solve for both Tension and acceleration of the 270g block which I converted to kilograms 0.270kg, 0.075kg
So I first calculated the acceleration of the specified mass by the doing the following
ax = F1 / m1 = m1*g*sinθ / m1 then plug in and solve for acceleration.
0.270*9.81m/s2*sin30° / 0.270
=4.90m/s2
if someone could check to see if I did everything correctly because then it would be easier to calculate the tension and time I'm sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Bart Allen said:
So I first calculated the acceleration of the specified mass by the doing the following
ax = F1 / m1 = m1*g*sinθ / m1 then plug in and solve for acceleration.
It's more complicated than this. Gravity is not the only force acting on m1 that has a component along the slope.

Things will become clearer if you carefully draw a free body diagram for each mass.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

It's more complicated than this. Gravity is not the only force acting on m1 that has a component along the slope.

Things will become clearer if you carefully draw a free body diagram for each mass.
I did draw the free body diagram and I know that net force is a factor right? Also normal force

Bart Allen said:
I did draw the free body diagram and I know that net force is a factor right? Also normal force
Net force is the sum of the actual forces that act on an object. Can you list all of the forces that act on m1?

TSny said:
Net force is the sum of the actual forces that act on an object. Can you list all of the forces that act on m1?
Yes so you have gravity pulling down, Netforce, normal force which is perpendicular to the ground, you have the opposing force to the left that pulling it since its heavier then mass2 and the tension of the string that it is pulling

Bart Allen said:
gravity pulling down
Yes.
Netforce
Net force is not a separate force acting on the object. Netforce is the vector sum of the actual forces acting on the object. The Netforce is not included on a free body diagram. Only draw the actual physical forces on the diagram.
normal force which is perpendicular to the ground
For a mass on an incline, the direction of the normal force acting on the mass is not perpendicular to the ground.
you have the opposing force to the left that pulling it since its heavier then mass2
If I'm understanding the setup correctly, there is no such force. For any force that you draw on a free body diagram for an object, you should be able to state what other object is responsible for the force. For example, the gravitational force on m1 is produced by the earth, the normal force is produced by the surface of the incline, the tension force is produced by the string. If you go through this mental exercise for each force, you can avoid putting extra forces on the diagram that don't belong. So, if you claim there is "the opposing force to the left", what object produces this force?
and the tension of the string that it is pulling
Yes.

It would be helpful if you could post a diagram of the setup of the problem and post your free body diagrams for m1 and m2.

TSny said:
Yes. Net force is not a separate force acting on the object. Netforce is the vector sum of the actual forces acting on the object. The Netforce is not included on a free body diagram. Only draw the actual physical forces on the diagram. For a mass on an incline, the direction of the normal force acting on the mass is not perpendicular to the ground. If I'm understanding the setup correctly, there is no such force. For any force that you draw on a free body diagram for an object, you should be able to state what other object is responsible for the force. For example, the gravitational force on m1 is produced by the earth, the normal force is produced by the surface of the incline, the tension force is produced by the string. If you go through this mental exercise for each force, you can avoid putting extra forces on the diagram that don't belong. So, if you claim there is "the opposing force to the left", what object produces this force? Yes.

It would be helpful if you could post a diagram of the setup of the problem and post your free body diagrams for m1 and m2.
First I really appreciate your help this is really making me think and I'm starting to understand it better!
Secondly I was trying to do that but I have no way of posting it in tried posting it from my Google drive but that didn't work

I think this is the setup
upload_2017-10-5_11-55-50.png

Consider m1. What individual forces act on m1? For each of these forces, what is the x-component of the force? For m1, let's take the positive x direction to be parallel to the incline as shown above.

Last edited:
TSny said:
I think this is the setup
View attachment 212361

Consider m1. What individual forces act on m1? For each of these forces, what is the x-component of the force? For m1, let's take the positive x direction to be parallel to the incline as shown above.
X component consisting of the Tension? acceleration, and net force?

Bart Allen said:
X component consisting of the Tension? acceleration, and net force?
Yes, tension is an appied force in the X direction, but acceleration is not a force, and the net force is not an applied force - it is the sum of the applied forces.
What other applied force has a component parallel to the plane?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How do I calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you can use the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. Make sure to use the correct units for velocity and time in your calculation.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is often measured in newtons (N).

How do I calculate tension?

To calculate tension in a string or rope, you can use the formula: tension = mass * acceleration. Make sure to use the correct units for mass and acceleration in your calculation.

What are some common mistakes when calculating acceleration and tension?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect units, not taking into account the direction of the forces, and not considering other factors that may affect the calculation, such as friction or air resistance. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure all variables are accounted for.