1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function (schrodinger equation)

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the wave function ψ(x) corresponding to a particle with energy E in the potential well shown below. Show correctly relative values of amplitude and wavelength in different regions.

wavefunc.png

2. Relevant equations
    none?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess I was a bit confused how to get started with this.. there's nothing like this in my notes so I'm kinda guessing. but from the picture I can see E is a staight line (constant) and it only oscillates when E>V0 otherwise it is decaying (e^x or something). So i graphed rough sketch of the wave function..am I doing anything that is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2
    Your understanding of what to do is correct. Of course in the region when the energy of the particle is greater than the potential: one measures a free particle like solution with varying frequencies.

There are two questionable parts for me in your solution. There isn't a decay before the first measurable wall and the second well oscillates too slowly being only 2 units higher than the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted