Wave function using the time dependent Schrodinger equation

ThiagoSantos
Given a wavefunction ψ(x, 0) of a free particle at initial time t=0, I need to write the general expression of the function at time t. I used a Fourier transform of ψ(x, t) in terms of ψ(p, t), but, i don't understand how to use green's functions and the time dependent schrodinger equation to get my answer. What's the relationtship between them?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
The time-dependent Schrödinger equation reads
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \psi(x,t)=\hat{H} \psi(x,t).$$
Let's assume for simplicity that
$$\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + V(\hat{x}),$$
i.e., that ##\hat{H}## is not explicitly time dependent. Then the formal solution of the equation above is
$$\psi(x,t)=\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t}{\hbar} \right) \psi(x,0).$$
This you can write in the form
$$\psi(x,t)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x' \left \langle x \left |\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t}{\hbar} \right) \right| x' \right \rangle \psi(x',0)= \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x' G(x,x',t) \psi(x',0),$$
i.e., the propator is
$$G(x,x',t)=\left \langle x \left |\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t}{\hbar} \right) \right| x' \right \rangle.$$
Usually it's of course difficult to really calculate the propagator.

For a free particle, where ##\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/(2m)## you can use the momentum eigenstates to evaluate it:
$$G(x,x',t)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x |\exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{p}^2 t/(2m \hbar)]|p \rangle \langle p|x' \rangle.$$

Suggested for: Wave function using the time dependent Schrodinger equation

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies