Wave optics YOUNG'S DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT

• Thread starter harini_5
  • Start date
Hi,
I'm encountering problems in my tests about young's double slit experiment and in many of those I'm finding the source executing simple harmonic motion (whose equation is given )
and we are asked to calculate the equation of motion of central bright fringe,max no. of fringes that can be formed etc
what methodology should be adopted to solve such problems?

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
If you submit a problem, we will try to find the method of solving it.

Hi,
I'm encountering problems in my tests about young's double slit experiment and in many of those I'm finding the source executing simple harmonic motion (whose equation is given )
and we are asked to calculate the equation of motion of central bright fringe,max no. of fringes that can be formed etc
what methodology should be adopted to solve such problems?
also suggest me which is the best book for wave optics
I'm in precollege level preparing for IITJEE one of the toughest entrance exams of precollege level

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Any physics text at the advanced high school or college freshman level that covers wave interference should go over this. It essentially involves subtracting two path lengths from each other, and comparing the path difference to the wavelength.

As rl.bhat said, looking at a specific example would be the best way to learn this. Do you have a physics textbook that covers this material? It could be in any one of various sections, such as those covering either waves, sound, or optics.