Wave Runup - Average Reservoir Depth

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate wave run-up for a reservoir and the difficulty of determining the average reservoir depth (D) along the fetch line. It is mentioned that some sources suggest using the average reservoir level along the direction of wind blow, but this method is only applicable for initial reservoir levels between 20ft and 35ft. The conversation also references a report from the U.S. Department of Corp of Engineers, which provides a calculation procedure for wave run-up on reservoir embankments. However, this report is not readily available. The individual is seeking suggestions or advice on how to proceed with the calculation.
af_231
Hello!
In order to calculate wave run-up for a reservoir, I need to determine the average reservoir depth along fetch line (D).... Does anyone know how can I calculate this depth?

In some book I have read that D is the average reservoir level along the direction of wind blow, and it is assumed to be half of the initial reservoir, D=0.5Ho, but only for 20ft <Ho<35ft. In my case the initial reservoir level is more than 35ft.

Another books and works do mention of a Engineer Letter of the U.S. Department of Corp of Engineers, named ETL 110-2-221: Wave Runup and Wind Setup on Reservoir Embakment. But I have been unable to get this book.

I would appreciate any suggestion or advice.

Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found this report.

https://www.usbr.gov/tsc/techreferences/designstandards-datacollectionguides/finalds-pdfs/DS13-6.pdf

The calculation procedure is explained in Appendix B.

1. What is wave runup?

Wave runup is the vertical distance between the still water level and the maximum elevation reached by a wave on a structure or shoreline.

2. How is average reservoir depth calculated?

The average reservoir depth is calculated by dividing the total volume of the reservoir by the surface area of the reservoir. This gives an overall average depth of the water in the reservoir.

3. Why is wave runup important to consider in reservoirs?

Wave runup is important to consider in reservoirs because it can cause significant damage to shoreline structures and can affect water levels in the reservoir. It is also important for designing and maintaining safe and effective reservoir structures.

4. How does average reservoir depth affect wave runup?

The average reservoir depth can affect wave runup by changing the amount of energy absorbed by the water. A shallower reservoir will have less energy absorption, resulting in higher wave runup, while a deeper reservoir will have more energy absorption, resulting in lower wave runup.

5. Can wave runup and average reservoir depth be predicted?

Yes, wave runup and average reservoir depth can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account factors such as wave height, wind speed, and reservoir geometry to estimate the potential impact of wave runup on a reservoir.