Wind Waves in Reservoir ~ Wind run-up and Wind set-up

In summary, the author is looking for information on how to calculate fetch lengths for a reservoir. He is not sure if the reservoir is big or small, but he does know that open ocean waves are deep water waves and need to be calculated over a fetch of 100km for Beaufort force 5 and 1000km for Beaufort force 8. The author also found a document relating to Dam Freeboard Requirements, but it is the only document he has found that makes reference to Dutch's formula.
af_231
Hello!
As part of a project related to dam overtopping induced by wind (wave run-up and wave set-up), I am looking for information on how to calculate fetch lenghts for a reservoir.
I would appreciate any information about it.
Thanks!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Open ocean waves, on the Pierson spectrum, are calculated over a fetch of 100km for Beaufort force 5 and 1000km for Beaufort force 8.

I doubt your reservoir is that big.

Further open ocean wave fields are deep water waves, you need to be using shallow water wave theory or surge in open channel theory. The plan and cross section dimensions of the reservoir are crucial, as is the bottom profile approaching the dam.

Thanks Studiot!
Have you heard about Dutch's formula to estimate wind set-up (or tide)?
Since my goal is get the overtopping induced by wind on a reservoir (wind set-up + wind rup-up), I found on internet a formula to estimate wind set-up formulated by Dutch, but could not find more information related to that formula, like a book or paper with a proposed methodology.
Please let me know if you are familiar with these procedures.. I really appreciate your help!

No, but do you have a link?

For some reason I cannot access this link.
This pc is XPpro, but I have just tried in W7 and with the same result.

Ah ok. Thanks! Its a Engineer Manual published by the US Army Corps of Engineers.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

You might like to look up the term 'backwater curve' Google seems to have lots.

You would need to calculate the backwater curve anyway and superimpose the perturbation of the wave on it.

Ok. Thanks! I am going to search about it!
Thanks for the suggestion!

An open reservoir is basically a case of funny shaped open channel flow.

As you have already found out in your other thread there is a balance between inflow and outflow.
The inflow tends to vary considerably, with seasonal peaks.
The outflow is more regular from the drawoff and the balance flows down the spillway or wherever.

The dam and its associated structures can be thought of as an obstruction in this (variable) flow regime.
The reservoir surface profile is given by the backwater curve.

This is quite unlike the open ocean.

When the level is low waves are not at risk of overtoppoing the dam.

When the level is high there will have been/be an inflow peak. This, of itself, can create surges and waves.

The normal practice would be to superimpose the shallow water wave solution on top of this for additional wind induced waves.

Of course this is all a very complicated proceedure so is often (best) modeled by a real hydraulic model which is compared to calculations.

I wish you well with your project.

Please keep us informed.

1. What are wind waves and how do they form in a reservoir?

Wind waves are formed when the wind transfers energy to the surface of the water, causing ripples or waves to form. In a reservoir, wind waves can form due to the large surface area and depth of the water, as well as the presence of wind. As the wind blows over the surface of the reservoir, it creates friction and transfers energy to the water, causing it to move and form waves.

2. What is wind run-up and how does it affect reservoirs?

Wind run-up is the vertical distance that a wave travels up a shoreline or structure, such as a dam or levee. In a reservoir, wind run-up can cause water levels to rise and potentially lead to flooding or erosion along the shoreline. This can be particularly problematic in areas with high winds or when there is a large fetch, which is the distance over which the wind blows over the water surface.

3. What is wind set-up and how does it impact reservoirs?

Wind set-up refers to the increase in water level caused by the wind pushing water towards the shore or against structures. In reservoirs, wind set-up can lead to higher water levels near the shoreline, which can also contribute to flooding and erosion. This effect is more pronounced in narrow, shallow reservoirs where the wind can easily push the water towards the shore.

4. How can we measure wind waves and their impact on reservoirs?

There are different methods for measuring wind waves in reservoirs, including using buoys, radar, and remote sensing technologies. These methods can provide information on wave height, wavelength, direction, and frequency. The impact of wind waves on reservoirs can also be measured through monitoring water levels and erosion patterns along the shoreline.

5. What are some strategies for mitigating the impact of wind waves in reservoirs?

To mitigate the impact of wind waves on reservoirs, some strategies include constructing breakwaters or barriers to reduce the energy of the waves, implementing shoreline stabilization measures, and adjusting reservoir operations to manage water levels during periods of high winds. Additionally, proper maintenance and upkeep of dams and other structures can help prevent erosion and damage caused by wind waves.