Wavefunction after position measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the collapse of a particle's wavefunction when measured in a small interval on the x axis. If the particle is found within the interval, the wavefunction will collapse into a rectangle-like function with equal probability density on the interval and zero outside. If the particle is not found within the interval, the wavefunction will be affected and become zero on the measured region. This process will quickly spread through the Schrodinger equation. The conversation also clarifies that the measurement device will determine the actual position of the particle, not just a yes or no answer.
MHD93
Suppose I have a particle confined between 0 and d on the x axis, and it has some wavefunction, if I measured the particle to be between some small interval [a, b], would the wavefunction collapse into a rectangle-like function with equal prob. density on the interval and zero outside? or what?

Suppose, instead, that I measured the region [a, b] and did NOT find the particle there, it is reasonable that the wavefunction would be affected (i.e. it must become zero on [a, b]). Right or wrong? and if right how will it look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by measure the particle in some small interval? Do you mean you have some measuring device that if the particle is between a and b returns yes? Or do you mean you have a measuring device that will tell the actual position between a and b? If the former then yes if the latter it will collapse to a Dirac Delta function at the measured position.

If you measure it and under either scenario its not between a and b then it will collapse to a wave-function that is zero between the area you measured the position.

Under both scenarios it will quickly spread via the Schrodenger equation.

Thanks
Bill

Do you mean you have some measuring device that if the particle is between a and b returns yes?
Yes, I am talking about this.

...it will collapse to a wave-function that is zero between the area you measured the position
and elsewhere? this is my question.

Mohammad_93 said:
and elsewhere? this is my question.

What it was before - but that will quickly collapse into the solutions of a particle in the box via the Schrodinger Equation.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It contains all the information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of the particle.

2. What happens to the wavefunction after a position measurement?

After a position measurement, the wavefunction collapses to a single point, representing the exact location where the particle was found. This is known as the "collapse of the wavefunction."

3. Can the wavefunction be observed directly?

No, the wavefunction is a mathematical concept and cannot be directly observed. However, the effects of the wavefunction can be observed through experiments and measurements.

4. How is the wavefunction related to probability?

The wavefunction gives the probability of finding a particle at a specific location. The square of the wavefunction, known as the probability density, represents the likelihood of finding a particle at a certain point in space.

5. Does the wavefunction always collapse after a measurement?

No, the wavefunction will only collapse if the measurement is made. If the particle is not observed, the wavefunction will continue to evolve and spread out, representing the particle's potential locations.