Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction after position measurement

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    Suppose I have a particle confined between 0 and d on the x axis, and it has some wavefunction, if I measured the particle to be between some small interval [a, b], would the wavefunction collapse into a rectangle-like function with equal prob. density on the interval and zero outside? or what?

Suppose, instead, that I measured the region [a, b] and did NOT find the particle there, it is reasonable that the wavefunction would be affected (i.e. it must become zero on [a, b]). Right or wrong? and if right how will it look like?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by measure the particle in some small interval? Do you mean you have some measuring device that if the particle is between a and b returns yes? Or do you mean you have a measuring device that will tell the actual position between a and b? If the former then yes if the latter it will collapse to a Dirac Delta function at the measured position.

If you measure it and under either scenario its not between a and b then it will collapse to a wave-function that is zero between the area you measured the position.

Under both scenarios it will quickly spread via the Schrodenger equation.

Thanks
    Bill

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3
    Yes, I am talking about this.

and elsewhere? this is my question.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What it was before - but that will quickly collapse into the solutions of a particle in the box via the Schrodinger Equation.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook