Waveguide Junction TM/TE combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling between a smaller waveguide with a TM mode and a larger waveguide with a TE mode. It is found that the inner cross product between the transverse electric and magnetic fields is always 0, indicating lossless coupling. This is true for both configurations, where the smaller waveguide has a TE mode and the larger has a TM mode, and vice versa. However, in rectangular waveguide structures, it is only mentioned that the coupling is 0 for the former configuration, not necessarily for the latter. The question is raised about the physical significance of this and whether it is related to the ability of circular waveguides to support both TE and TM modes.
tworitdash
TL;DR Summary
I have been verifying measurements from a commercial EM tool with equations implemented on MATLAB with Mode Matching Technique for S parameters in the case of waveguide junction problems. I found in the literature that if the smaller waveguide has a TM mode (smaller waveguide surface is a sub-set of the larger waveguide in this case) and the larger has a TE mode, then the coupling is 0 no matter which kind of waveguide it is. It is shown in the paper.
In the paper here, it says no matter what the waveguide structure is, if the smaller waveguide has a TM mode and the larger has a TE mode, then the coupling (Inner cross product [tex] \int\int_{S_{smaller-waveguide}} (E^{small}_{transverse} \times H^{large}_{transverse}) . \hat z dS[/tex], where z is the direction of propagation) should be 0.

First I derived the equations analytically for a circular waveguide where I saw it is true indeed and the reverse is also true (small waveguide with TE and large with TM). It is interesting to notice that when (S - TM and L -TE, I am referring S for small and L for large), the integrals of radial variables ([tex]\rho[/tex]) and the angular variables integral ([tex]\phi[/tex]) are both 0 and when (S - TE and L -TM) only the angular variables integral is 0. Anyway, as one of them at least is 0 always, the inner cross product is 0 always for both configurations. As this is lossless, I also assume that the reverse also has to be true.

However, in rectangular waveguide structures in all literature I reviewed, it is said that only (S - TM and L -TE) has 0 coupling and not necessarily the opposite is true.

I don't understand why such a thing happen. What is the physical significance of this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it that the circular waveguide can support a choice of two polarisations which the small rectangular cannot?

tech99 said:
Is it that the circular waveguide can support a choice of two polarisations which the small rectangular cannot?
Yes, the field equations have a cos (or) a sin term in the field equations for circular waveguides. Either way, it is right and I use it as cos.

I think you are asking the same as polarization here? Or do you mean TE and TM? TE and TM both are supported in both waveguides. I think I don't understand the question properly.

1. What is a waveguide junction TM/TE combination?

A waveguide junction TM/TE combination is a type of waveguide structure that allows for the transmission of both transverse magnetic (TM) and transverse electric (TE) waves. It consists of two different types of waveguides, one for TM waves and one for TE waves, that are connected at a junction.

2. How does a waveguide junction TM/TE combination work?

The waveguide junction TM/TE combination works by using the different modes of TM and TE waves to transmit electromagnetic energy. The TM waveguide allows for the transmission of TM waves, while the TE waveguide allows for the transmission of TE waves. The junction between the two waveguides allows for the combination of these waves, resulting in a more efficient transmission of electromagnetic energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a waveguide junction TM/TE combination?

One major advantage of using a waveguide junction TM/TE combination is that it allows for the transmission of both TM and TE waves, which can be useful in situations where both types of waves are needed. Additionally, the junction design can help to reduce losses and improve the efficiency of the transmission.

4. What are the applications of a waveguide junction TM/TE combination?

Waveguide junction TM/TE combinations have a wide range of applications in the field of microwave engineering. They are commonly used in microwave communication systems, radar systems, and satellite communication systems. They can also be found in various scientific instruments, such as particle accelerators and plasma generators.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a waveguide junction TM/TE combination?

One limitation of using a waveguide junction TM/TE combination is that it can be more complex and expensive to design and manufacture compared to other types of waveguides. Additionally, the performance of the combination may be affected by factors such as frequency, temperature, and power levels. Proper design and careful consideration of these factors are necessary to ensure optimal performance.