1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength and laser basics (ND:YAG)

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    Hey guys!
    I hope my English skills are enough to describe my problems sufficiently.

(The problem statement, all variables and given/known data)
    Unbenannt.PNG

I. Following the following picture, what wavelength should a laser be used to process aluminum?

II. What metal surface can be cleaned with a frequency-doubled NDYAG laser?

To I:
    The literature says that both ND: YAG and CO2 lasers can be used for this. The high reflection rate can be operated by both laser types

To II:
    Such a laser has a wavelength of 532 nm and is particularly suitable for reflecting surfaces, corresponding to a significant advantage over a Co2 laser. Which metals are primarily to be mentioned here? Silver? Or is my approach wrong?

I am glad about every contribution and every help (:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doubling the frequency is half the wavelength. You are correct there. From the graph, all metals except silver will be absorbing a significant portion of energy at this wavelength.

4. Jul 30, 2017 #3
    Many thanks for your response!

However, I do not quite understand how the diagram is to be read. Is the value with the least absoption at 532nm to be read (ie Ag)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted