Downgoing & Upgoing radiant heat equally reflected by RB?

• Thread starter shane2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discussed the solar energy wavelengths of 0.5 µm and 10 µm and how different surfaces radiate heat at varying wavelengths. The question was posed about the effectiveness of common radiant barriers, such as aluminum foil, in reflecting heat at both wavelengths. It was concluded that aluminum is generally effective at reflecting most wavelengths and that radiant barriers should be close enough in reflectivity for common uses.
shane2
I'd read that "Most solar energy has a wavelength close to 0.5 µm" and that
"All surfaces radiate heat, mostly at wavelengths close to 10 µm wavelength."

spectral_transp_atmos.png

So, just to confirm, that means that a black roof in the clear summer sun is heating up primarily as a result of the wavelengths as seen under most of the red above and later whatever that hot roof is re-radiating away that night will be in wavelengths mostly under the blue, correct?

OK, so here's my question, does common radiant barrier, like the aluminum foil faced rolls you see for sale that claim a 95% reflectance, do they equally reflect radiant heat at both 0.5 µm and 10 µm wavelengths? If not, how significantly so do they not?

If RB does not reflect both equally, I'll have a follow up question.

Thank you for any responses.

Science news on Phys.org
Looking more now, I see I may have the answer to my question here...

Image-Metal-reflectance.png

...that is if all my other earlier assumptions were correct without major qualifiers being brought up by anyone.
Which I eagerly invite, if there are any.

Point of my asking the question was to be sure commonly available aluminum radiant barrier was close to equally reflective of radiant heat in the wavelengths originating from both direct sunlight and for radiant heat wavelengths radiating from objects and building materials, too. It looks like it is, unless I'm missing something else here.

Any comments?

Aluminum should do well at reflecting most wavelengths you're interested in. I can't vouch for the radiant barriers, which probably won't be quite as reflective as the graph shows, but it should be close enough for any common uses.

1. What is downgoing and upgoing radiant heat?

Downgoing and upgoing radiant heat refer to the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic radiation. Downgoing radiant heat travels from the atmosphere towards the Earth's surface, while upgoing radiant heat travels from the Earth's surface towards the atmosphere.

2. How is heat reflected by RB?

Heat is reflected by RB (a reflective surface) through the process of reflection. This occurs when electromagnetic waves (such as heat energy) strike the surface and are bounced off at the same angle at which they hit the surface. This results in the same amount of heat being reflected in both the downgoing and upgoing directions.

3. Why is it important to understand downgoing and upgoing radiant heat equally reflected by RB?

Understanding how heat is reflected by RB is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications. For example, it can help us design more efficient solar panels, understand the Earth's energy budget, and predict the effects of climate change.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the reflectivity of RB?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the reflectivity of RB. These include the angle of incidence (the angle at which the heat energy hits the surface), the type of surface material, and the surface roughness. These factors can alter the amount of heat energy that is reflected by RB.

5. How does RB compare to other reflective surfaces in terms of heat reflection?

RB is a highly reflective surface, meaning it reflects a large amount of heat energy. However, there are other materials that are even more reflective, such as polished metals. The reflectivity of a surface depends on its material properties, so RB may be more or less reflective than other surfaces in certain conditions.