Waves -- Find the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v

In summary, when solving an equation, you can use what you know about maths and physics to deduce the correct picture.
abm77

Homework Statement

Two slits are separated by a distance of 4.40x10-6m and illuminated with two monochromatic light sources with wave lengths of 600nm (red) and 400nm (violet). The mr bright fringe of the red light coincides with the mv bright fringe of the violet light. What are the lowest possible values for mr and mv?

d= 4.40x10-6 m
λr = 600nm
λv = 400nm
mr = ?
mv = ?

Homework Equations

Δx/ L = λ/d
xm = mLλ / d
d sinΘm = mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start as it seems I'm missing needed information for use any of the equations, but it is the last question of my assignment. Sorry if formatting is wrong, first time posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
When in doubt - draw a picture of what is happening.
Have you tried working out where the fringes go for each color of light ... sketch a diagram for the first 8 or so. Use the information you have to choose the equation you need.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
When in doubt - draw a picture of what is happening.
Have you tried working out where the fringes go for each color of light ... sketch a diagram for the first 8 or so. Use the information you have to choose the equation you need.

See that is what I would normally try and do to solve a question I'm struggling with, but let's just say my teacher isn't the best and is rushing through the unit and hasn't even showed us what everything is suppose to look like and has just thrown numbers and equations at us. Very frustrating way to learn.

abm77 said:
See that is what I would normally try and do to solve a question I'm struggling with, but let's just say my teacher isn't the best and is rushing through the unit and hasn't even showed us what everything is suppose to look like and has just thrown numbers and equations at us. Very frustrating way to learn.
You quote three equations. At least one of them looks very useful. You can write it out separately for the red and violet cases, and the only extra unknown is the same in both equations.

haruspex said:
You quote three equations. At least one of them looks very useful. You can write it out separately for the red and violet cases, and the only extra unknown is the same in both equations.
I see that for the third equation that the extra unknown would be sinΘm, but I don't see how I can find that unknown value without knowing m, which is what I need to find anyways.
Edit: Maybe I'm missing something very obvious because I'm tired...

abm77 said:
I see that for the third equation that the extra unknown would be sinΘm, but I don't see how I can find that unknown value without knowing m, which is what I need to find anyways.
Edit: Maybe I'm missing something very obvious because I'm tired...
The unknown it introduces is just an angle. The m it corresponds to will be different for r and v, but it's the same angle. Write out the two versions of the equation, one for r and one for v, but use the same variable (just theta, say) for the angle.

The idea is to use what you know about maths and physics to deduce the correct picture.

You've seen what a fringe pattern looks like and you know how to get it.
haruspex has the standard approach - you write out the equations for mr and mv, and you know you need these values so that the fringes overlap. This will be when the two angles are the same.

If you are having a problem understanding how that would work, then go back a step ... write out the equation for ##d\sin\theta_r = m_r\lambda_r## right?
Solve it for ##\theta_r##, and find values of ##\theta_r## for ##m_r=1,2,3,4,\cdots## ... repeat for ##m_v## and see which values are the same.

Thank you both, I get it now and completed the question. Don't know why it took me so long to understand, but I get it now.

There's a paralysis that hits some people when they are faced with having to start working on a question without knowing how to find the answer.
As you advance, these situations will crop up more and more. The secret is to play around - plug some numbers in etc.
Not every effort needs to be directed at the goal and you don't have to include everything you did in the answer you hand in.
It's less efficient right away but leads to solid intuitions that save time later when you need them to.

1. What are m_r and m_v in the context of waves?

In the context of waves, m_r and m_v refer to the minimum values for the reflection coefficient and transmission coefficient, respectively. These coefficients represent the amount of energy that is reflected or transmitted when a wave encounters a boundary or interface between two mediums.

2. How do you calculate the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v?

The lowest possible values for m_r and m_v can be calculated using the equations:
m_r = (Z_2 - Z_1)^2 / (Z_2 + Z_1)^2
m_v = 4Z_1Z_2 / (Z_2 + Z_1)^2
where Z_1 and Z_2 are the acoustic impedances of the two mediums.

3. What factors affect the values of m_r and m_v?

The values of m_r and m_v are affected by the acoustic impedances of the two mediums, the angle of incidence of the wave, and the properties of the boundary between the two mediums.

4. Why is it important to find the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v?

Finding the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v is important because it allows us to minimize the amount of energy that is reflected or transmitted when a wave encounters a boundary. This can reduce unwanted reflections and improve the overall efficiency of wave-based systems.

5. Can the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v be negative?

No, the lowest possible values for m_r and m_v cannot be negative. Both m_r and m_v must be positive and less than or equal to 1, as they represent proportions of the incident wave energy that is reflected or transmitted.