Waves question RE combination of frequencies and semitones

In summary, musical notes are defined by frequency ratios, rather than absolute frequency. The most important intervals, including the octave, perfect fifth (P5), and perfect fourth (P4), are characterized by simple frequency ratios. In western music, the octave is divided into twelve equal intervals called semitones, with a frequency ratio of 2^(1/12). To achieve the best possible approximation of P4 and P5, one would need to use approximately 4 and 7 semitones above the root, respectively. However, if the octave were divided into 15 equal semitones, the frequency ratio for each would be different and the best approximations for P4 and P5 would be around 5 and 8
coffeem

Homework Statement

musical notes are defined by the frequency of oscillation. however notes are usually not qualifies in terms of absolute frequency, but the ratio (called interval) of their frequency to that of a reference notes called root. Pythagorus discovered that intervals that please the ear are characterised by simple frequency ratios. Th most important intervals are the octace, the perfect fifth (P5), and the perfect fourth (P4), defined by simple ratios: 2 (octave), 3/2 (P5) and 4/3 (P4).

a) Show that P5, followed by P4, equal an octave.

b) In western music, the octave is divided into twelve equal intervals, called semitones. Give the frequency ratio, h, that characterises the semitone.

c) How many integer semitones above the root do you get the best possible approximation of P4 and P5? Show you working you cannot just quote from musical knowledge.

d) Assume the octave were equally divided into 15 alternative semitones, rather than 12. Calculate the alternative semitone frequency ratio h', fine the best integer alternative semitone approximation for P4 and P5. How close is that approximation, compared to the conventional 12 semitone octave? Why is the conventional division of the octave into 12 semitones not as arbitrary as it may first appear?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with this. I know that if I multiply P4 and P5 together I get the correct answer, 2. However I am unsure about the theory behind this. I have looked in my notes and have also tried searching on the internet for what I need to do, but have found nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have replied to this question on TSR.

1. What is the relationship between frequencies and semitones in a wave?

There is a logarithmic relationship between frequencies and semitones in a wave. Each semitone represents a frequency ratio of 2^(1/12) or approximately 1.05946.

2. How do you combine frequencies to create a specific semitone?

To create a specific semitone, you can use the formula f = f0 * 2^(n/12), where f0 is the base frequency and n is the number of semitones you want to add. For example, to create a C# note from a C note, you would multiply the frequency of the C note by 2^(1/12) or approximately 1.05946.

3. Can a combination of frequencies and semitones create any pitch?

Yes, a combination of frequencies and semitones can create any pitch within the audible range. However, certain combinations may result in pitches that are too high or too low for the human ear to perceive.

4. What is the significance of semitones in music?

Semitones are important in music because they allow for precise tuning and the creation of different pitches. They also play a role in musical intervals, which are the building blocks of melody and harmony.

5. How does the combination of frequencies and semitones affect the quality of sound?

The combination of frequencies and semitones can greatly impact the quality of sound. For example, certain combinations can result in a harmonious and pleasant sound, while others can create dissonance. It can also affect the perceived pitch and timbre of a sound.