1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves: velocity, frequency, wavelength

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you slosh the water back and forth in a bathtub at the correct frequency, the water rises first at one end and then at the other. Suppose you can make a standing wave in a 135 cm long tub with a frequency of 0.31 Hz. What is the velocity of the water wave?

2. Relevant equations

I know [tex] v = f \lambda [/tex] and that [tex] f = \frac{1}{T} [/tex], with [tex]v[/tex]=velocity, [tex]f[/tex]=frequency, [tex]\lambda[/tex]=wavelength, and [tex]T[/tex]=period.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so this looked easy enough, right?
    I converted 135 cm to 1.35 m and multiplied 1.35 x .31. This isn't the correct answer, however, and I am rather stymied. Am I missing something easy?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    I believe that the frequency represents the fundamental frequency, ie. the bathtub length is half a wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?