• Start date
Andrew Tom
Homework Statement:
Beat frequency
Relevant Equations:
Beat frequency
1665136479203.png

Is my solution correct?

I used v=lambda*f, i.e. f=v/lambda to get the frequency for each wave. Then I calculated the average of the frequencies to get 258Hz and found the beat frequency by doing f1-f2 to get 4Hz. I then said that this means the observer will hear a tone of frequency 258Hz which rises and falls in intensity 4 times per second.

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi,

No Joy with ##\LaTeX## :wink: ?

PF isn't for stamp-approving homework answers.
On the other hand, I find no obvious errors in your calculation.
Are you allowed to use 332 m/s as speed of sound ?

##\ ##

Andrew Tom
Hi,

No Joy with ##\LaTeX## :wink: ?

PF isn't for stamp-approving homework answers.
On the other hand, I find no obvious errors in your calculation.
Are you allowed to use 332 m/s as speed of sound ?

##\ ##
Thank you I will use LaTeX next time.

It is given as 330 in the formula booklet so I don't think so.

Would it be ok to just post the question rather than asking for confirmation of my answer? Or is there some other way it should be done?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Likes Andrew Tom and kuruman
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Would it be ok to just post the question rather than asking for confirmation of my answer? Or is there some other way it should be done?
At some point you should reach a stage where you have acquired enough confidence in yourself to troubleshoot your own work. Asking people to check your work is analogous to riding a bike with training wheels. You will never start doing it without the wheels until you remove them. Avoid asking for help unless you are stumped and don't know how to proceed, not if you have reached an answer and you feel OK about it.

When I troubleshoot my work, I try as hard as I can to produce arguments, calculations, limiting cases, etc. that might prove me wrong. If I can't find any, chances are that I'm right. To reinforce this opinion I might do web research and see what others have said or done on the subject. This particular Wikipedia article has everything you need to convince yourself that you did it right.

Likes Andrew Tom and BvU

Suggested for: Beat frequency heard from two tuning forks

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views