Ways on how visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure?

In summary, Shear and Moment diagrams can be used to find deflections of point loaded members, but can get tricky with distributed loads.
driedupfish
Hi guys, what are some ways to visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure?
I know that there is no slope or deflection at fix ends. No deflection at supports (roller, fix ends, etc).
Also, I am not really sure what a kink is.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey driedupfish,

This is my first post, but this is a question that I feel like I can answer, even if not in the most detailed way...

I was going to write out an example and walk you through it and its theory, but then I realized how long it would be, and if you're like me, you'd get halfway through it and just stop reading. Besides, I doubt I'm really the best at explaining it. Instead, I'll give you the short answer. The way I learned was to use shear and moment diagrams. I can't give you a good overview of how to do it in a forum, really. It took about a week of lectures before I understood it.

Finding deflections of point loaded members is fairly straight forward, but distributed loads can get kinda hairy at times, especially if you don't use superposition. The solution of these diagrams requires solving some simple differential equations with initial conditions, but all you really have to do is integrate.

If you can do statics, find the reaction forces caused by the point load (using summation of moments or forces in x-axis or y-axis).

I was going to go into more detail here, but I'm beginning to see how it would really become unclear in text. I'd suggest you look into Shear and Moment diagrams.

Take if from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_and_moment_diagram"
I'd skip down to the "Procedure" section.

Once you can apply it to your own scenario reliably, you just have to integrate the Moment Diagram and you'll have the Deflection Diagram which will tell you how much the beam has deflected at any given point along the axis.

Not really the best answer to your question, admittedly. But hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure without using complex software?

One way to visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure is by creating a scaled physical model using materials such as cardboard or foam. This can help give a better understanding of the overall shape and deformation of the structure.

2. Are there any free software programs available for visualizing deflected shapes?

Yes, there are several free software programs such as Ftool, Frame3DD, and SkyCiv that can be used to visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure. These programs are user-friendly and offer various features for creating and analyzing structural models.

3. Can I use hand calculations to visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure?

Hand calculations can be used to estimate the deflected shape of a simple structure, but they may not provide an accurate representation. It is recommended to use a combination of hand calculations and software programs for a more precise visualization.

4. How can I interpret the deflected shape of a simple structure?

The deflected shape of a simple structure can be interpreted by analyzing the displacement and deformation at various points along the structure. This can help identify areas of high stress or potential failure, and inform design decisions for improving the structure's performance.

5. Is it necessary to visualize the deflected shape of a simple structure?

Yes, visualizing the deflected shape of a simple structure is crucial in understanding its behavior under different loads and conditions. It can also help identify any design flaws or areas of concern that need to be addressed before construction or during the structural analysis process.