Beam Sizing for Engineering Student Project

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating an app for beam calculations. The app should suggest appropriate beam sizing based on user input of force locations and cross sectional shape. The speaker is seeking guidance as they have no idea how to calculate the appropriate beam sizing and their initial understanding of deflection being equal to breaking is incorrect. They have been referred to resources for calculating beam sizing, but are still unsure about the process. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their need for guidance due to their lack of background knowledge in the subject. The traditional method for choosing beam sections is mentioned, as well as some existing online calculators that could be helpful.
Declan10
Hi, I'm new here and I'm here to seek for help... I have this school project, I'm supposed to create an app (Funny that they asked an engineering student to do programming huh?). Basically this app involves beam calculations. It's supposed to suggest an appropriate beam sizing ( the cross sectional size). And all the user has to do is input the force locations, the shape of the cross section ( Angle bars, I-beams, etc). Thing is, i have totally no idea how to even calculate how much is too much. Initially, i thought deflection > max deflection = breaking. My lecturer referred me to http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/da6 , however, i noticed some loading scenarios involve the moment of inertia, some don't, so how do i suggest the beam sizing? Also, for the first scenario which is the UDL, no matter what i do, the deflection will never exceed.

Can someone enlighten me? I know my questions seem amateur but gimme a break...i'm not even a degree student.Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doing this properly may be too difficult without any background knowledge .

Beam sections can be chosen for a particular loading by several different methods .

The traditional simple method is to choose beam sections on the basis of the worst stress in the beam being less than or equal to an allowable maximum stress and the maximum deflection being within acceptable limits .

Here are examples of existing on line calculators :

http://www.cesdb.com/mitcalc-beam-calculation.html
http://www.engineeringcalculator.net/beam_calculator.html
http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. I do have a little knowledge about what I'm doing, it's just that I'm not really good at it so I need guidance here and there.

1. What is beam sizing?

Beam sizing is the process of determining the appropriate dimensions (length, width, and depth) of a beam for a specific engineering project. This is important to ensure that the beam can safely support the load and forces placed upon it.

2. How do you determine the load on a beam?

The load on a beam is typically determined by considering the weight of the structure or object that the beam will support, as well as any additional forces such as wind or snow. It is important to accurately calculate the load in order to properly size the beam.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting beam dimensions?

Several factors should be considered when selecting beam dimensions, including the type and magnitude of the load, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions at each end of the beam. Other factors may also include aesthetic considerations and cost.

4. What are some common types of beams used in engineering projects?

Some common types of beams used in engineering projects include I-beams, H-beams, T-beams, and C-beams. The choice of beam type depends on the specific application and the load requirements.

5. Are there any software or tools available to help with beam sizing?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can assist with beam sizing. These tools use mathematical equations and algorithms to determine the appropriate beam dimensions based on the given load and other parameters. However, it is important to double check the results and make necessary adjustments, as these tools may not always take into account all factors and considerations.