Can the Deflection of Mild Steel Straps Support a 500kg Load?

• Thread starter BMX56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failing
In summary, the conversation discusses building a filming system with two parallel cables for support. The supports need to fail in bending to reduce the load on the cables. The supports are made of mild steel with specific dimensions and distance between cables. The question arises about calculating deflection for such a small structure, and the results obtained so far do not seem accurate. The maximum loading and safety factors for the system are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult an engineer for proper advice and the idea of providing a drawing for a more explicit answer.
BMX56
Hi,

I'm building a filming system that uses two parallel cables to support a mobile camera system.
The cable supports need to fail in bending to reduce the load on the cables.

The supports are a mild steel strap, section dimensions 35mm x 5.5mm, distance between cables 200mm.

Can deflection for such a small structure be calculated by treating it as a simply supported beam with a point load at 100mm?

The results I have don't seem to be right, 1.3684mm deflection for cable loading of 500kg total load 1000 kg.

I'll probably have the supports tested in a lab but I want to be in the right ball park. For the system I'm building the maximum loading for some components is 1500kg, I aiming for failure at 300kg, with a safety factor of 5. The cables are rated at 2500kg each.

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
With big loads to support and an always risky 'fail safe' design logic you should really consult an engineer who can see what you are doing first hand and give proper advice .

Nidum makes a good point about consulting a trained opinion on this topic.
I would only like to say that by your descrition alone I have around 6 setups in mind, all different. If you would like an answer a drawing will be more explicit for anyone.

1. What is meant by "making it safe by failing"?

When we say "making it safe by failing", we are referring to the concept of learning from our failures and using that knowledge to improve and create a safer environment or product.

2. Why is it important to make it safe by failing?

Making it safe by failing allows us to identify and address potential hazards or flaws before they cause harm or lead to larger failures. It also promotes a culture of continuous improvement and learning from mistakes.

3. How can we implement the idea of making it safe by failing in our work or daily life?

We can implement this idea by creating a safe and open environment for sharing failures and discussing ways to improve. It's also important to have processes in place for identifying and addressing failures, and to regularly review and learn from them.

4. What are some potential challenges in making it safe by failing?

Some potential challenges may include the fear of failure and the stigma associated with it, lack of resources or support for addressing failures, and difficulty in implementing changes based on lessons learned.

5. How does making it safe by failing contribute to scientific progress?

Making it safe by failing is crucial for scientific progress as it allows us to identify and correct mistakes, leading to more accurate and reliable results. It also encourages innovation and new ideas, as failures are seen as opportunities for learning and improvement.