WE WON PF has been nominated for physics.org award

• Praise
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF has been nominated for the physics.org award in both the "Best revision site" and "Best Q&A site" categories. Nominations are currently open until October 10th, and the winners will be announced at the end of October. Physics.org is a website run by the outreach team at the Institute of Physics, with the aim to inspire people of all ages about physics and guide them to the best physics resources on the web. Despite not having the same level of traffic as PF, physics.org has connections in the physics community and recognition from them would be beneficial. PF members have put in nominations and are hopeful for a win.
WE WON! PF has been nominated for physics.org award!

I just checked physics.org and see they are in the process of awarding physics website awards. According to their twitter page PF has been nominated in the "Best revision site" category. Nominations close Oct 10th. Get out there and nominate us :)

http://www.physics.org/featuredetail.asp?id=52

http://twitter.com/dotrythisathome

Physics news on Phys.org

What's a revision site?

We're the best site - period.

We have LaTeX.

Last edited:

Astronuc said:
What's a revision site?

We're the best site - period.

This category seeks to reward sites providing notes, revision tips, tests etc suitable for secondary school physics revision (eg GCSE or A-level - although not necessarily UK-curriculum focussed). In short, a one stop shop to exam success!

hmmm not sure we really apply to that. Maybe Q&A category is better. I'm sure they will figure it out and we'll win :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm not sure we really apply to that. Maybe Q&A category is better. I'm sure they will figure it out and we'll win :)

I dunno, we do pride ourselves on the homework help forums.

I'm sure it'd help if we were nominated in another section, too :wink:

Very Cool.

"...the best site - period."
Agreed, or at least best forum by far...

Greg, you run the pf twitter?

Typeo.

PF has also been nominated for best Q&A site. You'll see.

cristo said:
I dunno, we do pride ourselves on the homework help forums.

I'm sure it'd help if we were nominated in another section, too :wink:

Oh absolutely! I guess what came to mind were test exam services...

turbo-1 said:
PF has also been nominated for best Q&A site. You'll see.

YAY! :)

netometry said:
Greg, you run the pf twitter?

Typeo.

Indeed. You see a misspelling?

Woot!

This is WONDERFUL!
All my hard work paid off... though, thanks for your help here and there
Greg.
Wow. Now I can go invent bread! After that maybe the Wheel!
Congratulations!

:rofl:

Lacy33 said:
This is WONDERFUL!
All my hard work paid off... though, thanks for your help here and there
Greg.
Wow. Now I can go invent bread! After that maybe the Wheel!
Congratulations!

:rofl:
Could you take time off to invent sex? Wheels and bread are all well and good...

turbo-1 said:
Could you take time off to invent sex? Wheels and bread are all well and good...
I did that. I invented ex. Just put an s on it and that's about all it's worth too. So back to the wheel. Some day people will create a huge headache called CERN from the wheel. You'll see.

Mmm yes all my plastering of PF posters at Math and CS departments has paid off :biggrin:

I still got to get the 'OK to post' sticker on them, they tend to stay longer if its approved by student government

Lacy33 said:
I did that. I invented ex. Just put an s on it and that's about all it's worth too. So back to the wheel. Some day people will create a huge headache called CERN from the wheel. You'll see.

Did you drink my cough syrup??

cronxeh said:
Did you drink my cough syrup??

I did. You don't have a cough, I have a cough from all this stuff flying off the stone as I chisel out the first wheel.
Now go out little monster and graffiti the whole city with PF fliers. And don't forget to put one atop the Chrysler Building.

No idea what pysics.org is, perhaps it is PF that should have its own web awards system, and nominate physics.org in some category?

Borek said:
No idea what pysics.org is

Physics.org is a website with the aim to "inspire people of all ages about physics. Let us be your guide and show you the best physics places on the web," run by the outreach team at the Institute of Physics (the UK and Ireland's professional body for physics).

cristo said:
Physics.org is a website with the aim to "inspire people of all ages about physics. Let us be your guide and show you the best physics places on the web," run by the outreach team at the Institute of Physics (the UK and Ireland's professional body for physics).

That I was able to read on their site, but - with all due respect - it doesn't tell anything about the position of the site in the physics community. I guess I am just ignorant here, but I honestly don't know.

This is very good!

Borek said:
That I was able to read on their site, but - with all due respect - it doesn't tell anything about the position of the site in the physics community. I guess I am just ignorant here, but I honestly don't know.
Physics.org does not have the kind of traffic that PF does (alexa ranking of about 500,000, compared to 10,000), but its purpose is to point users to physics resources, so I think this undertaking is definitely something that they are a lot better suited to doing.

Gokul43201 said:
Physics.org does not have the kind of traffic that PF does (alexa ranking of about 500,000, compared to 10,000)

That is certainly true, but they do have some organizational connections I should think and it would be helpful to be recognized.

I put in a nomination for best Q&A site two days ago. I hope we win.

Jack21222 said:
I put in a nomination for best Q&A site two days ago. I hope we win.
I did, too.

Many thanks for your nomination. Make sure you visit physics.org at the end of October to see if it has been shortlisted! Subscribe to our newsletter (http://www.physics.org/registration.asp) or follow us on twitter (http://twitter.com/dotrythisathome) to receive a reminder.

Don't forget you can nominate as many sites as you like between now and 10 October.

Cheers,
-dayna-

PF is top-drawer.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've heard of Physic.org, but never looked at it.
I am frankly surprised that this is the first "science community" recognition of PF. Given the number of top-ranked professionals in our membership, I always assumed that the esteem was universal. Anyhow, I'm very proud to be associated with it, even though my contributions are meager and primarily humourous. About 1% of the time, I can actually help someone, and that makes it all worth while. (Not to mention the awesome friendships that have arisen from it.)

That's great news! And it's no small wonder. There ought to be more awards for this forum...like in the Cosmology sub-forum, as a single example: many of those responders I consider to be on the Einsteinium/Hawking level of knowledge, and clear communicators! Congratulations to all!

Danger said:
I am frankly surprised that this is the first "science community" recognition of PF.
There's been no recognition yet. Being nominated is not a recognition, far as I can tell - anyone can nominate any site.

As I understand it, the first "round" of screening happens late Oct, when the nominees are shortlisted by the judges.

Gokul43201 said:
There's been no recognition yet. Being nominated is not a recognition, far as I can tell - anyone can nominate any site.

As I understand it, the first "round" of screening happens late Oct, when the nominees are shortlisted by the judges.

Bummer... :frown:
It's a bit ironic. We have the firepower to mount an irresistible lobby campaign, but that's not the scientific approach to the matter. :rolleyes:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Time to send the care packages! :biggrin:
Phil Plait is a judge over Q&A, but it says "Best Ask an Expert, Q&A" as the categoty. We still need to get short listed for the category.

They certainly don't make it easy to vote. Nevertheless, done! Best Q &A.

This is exciting!

GeorginaS said:
They certainly don't make it easy to vote. Nevertheless, done! Best Q &A.

This is exciting!
Same here. It took a couple of attempts to get an email to them.
Best Q & A.

Nominations are now closed. Public voting is Friday 22 October through Sunday 7 November!

Nominations are now closed. What does that mean, exactly? Do you know if PF is short-listed? If so, which categories? What do we do now?

Information! I need information.

Please. :)

We will know on the 22nd. See link in OP.

Oh, okay then. Thanks, Gokul. I'll be patient.

hope PF takes the prize! :smile:!GO PF GO!:smile: