1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak field general relativity

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    I was asked to do a problem about the gauge freedom one has in the weak field limit in general relativity. I am given a coordinate transformation [tex]x^{\mu '} = x^{\mu} - \zeta^{\mu}[/tex]. Now I have to show how the perturbation of the metric transforms under this coordinate transformation.

The result should be:
    [tex] h_{\mu\nu}^{new} = h_{\mu\nu}^{old} - \zeta_{\mu ,\nu} - \zeta_{\nu ,\mu}[/tex]

The most simple way to do this, i thought, was to just use the transformational law for tensors.

so: [tex]h_{\mu ' \nu '} = \partial_{\mu '}x^{\mu} \partial_{\nu '}x^{\nu} h_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Using the fact that we can neglect the product of the derivatives of the small perturbation, I find that:

[tex]h_{\mu ' \nu '} = h_{\mu\nu} - (\partial_{\mu '}\zeta^{\mu} + \partial_{\nu '}\zeta^{\nu})h_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

From this point I don't know how to get rid of the metric factor in the second term, because if I can lose it, i think i would be able to come to the correct form that is wanted.

Can someone give me some hints? :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's more rigurous if you start with the Pauli-Fierz action and do the canonical analysis and determine the irreducible abelian infinitesimal gauge transformations for the P-F fields [itex] h_{\mu\nu} [/itex].

Just a thought.

Daniel.

4. Mar 8, 2006 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you start from [itex]g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu}+h_{\mu \nu}[/itex],
    then the tranformation law gives:

[tex]g'_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} x^{\alpha}\partial_{\nu} x^{\beta}g_{\alpha \beta}[/tex]
    The left hand sides gives [itex]g'_{\mu \nu}(x')\approx \eta_{\mu \nu}+h_{\mu \nu}'(x)[/itex] and you can work out the right hand side explicitly.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?