Weak field general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of gauge freedom in the weak field limit in general relativity. The coordinate transformation x^{\mu '} = x^{\mu} - \zeta^{\mu} is given and the goal is to show how the perturbation of the metric transforms under this transformation. The result should be h_{\mu\nu}^{new} = h_{\mu\nu}^{old} - \zeta_{\mu ,\nu} - \zeta_{\nu ,\mu}. The conversation also mentions using the transformation law for tensors and suggests starting with the Pauli-Fierz action and doing canonical analysis to determine the infinitesimal gauge transformations.
Pietjuh
I was asked to do a problem about the gauge freedom one has in the weak field limit in general relativity. I am given a coordinate transformation [tex]x^{\mu '} = x^{\mu} - \zeta^{\mu}[/tex]. Now I have to show how the perturbation of the metric transforms under this coordinate transformation.

The result should be:
[tex] h_{\mu\nu}^{new} = h_{\mu\nu}^{old} - \zeta_{\mu ,\nu} - \zeta_{\nu ,\mu}[/tex]

The most simple way to do this, i thought, was to just use the transformational law for tensors.

so: [tex]h_{\mu ' \nu '} = \partial_{\mu '}x^{\mu} \partial_{\nu '}x^{\nu} h_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Using the fact that we can neglect the product of the derivatives of the small perturbation, I find that:

[tex]h_{\mu ' \nu '} = h_{\mu\nu} - (\partial_{\mu '}\zeta^{\mu} + \partial_{\nu '}\zeta^{\nu})h_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

From this point I don't know how to get rid of the metric factor in the second term, because if I can lose it, i think i would be able to come to the correct form that is wanted.

Can someone give me some hints? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's more rigurous if you start with the Pauli-Fierz action and do the canonical analysis and determine the irreducible abelian infinitesimal gauge transformations for the P-F fields [itex] h_{\mu\nu} [/itex].

Just a thought.

Daniel.

If you start from [itex]g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu}+h_{\mu \nu}[/itex],
then the tranformation law gives:

[tex]g'_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} x^{\alpha}\partial_{\nu} x^{\beta}g_{\alpha \beta}[/tex]
The left hand sides gives [itex]g'_{\mu \nu}(x')\approx \eta_{\mu \nu}+h_{\mu \nu}'(x)[/itex] and you can work out the right hand side explicitly.

Last edited:

What is weak field general relativity?

Weak field general relativity is a theory that describes the effects of gravity in regions where the gravitational field is relatively weak, such as in our solar system.

How is weak field general relativity different from strong field general relativity?

Strong field general relativity applies to regions where the gravitational field is extremely strong, such as near black holes. In these regions, the effects of gravity cannot be accurately described by weak field general relativity.

What is the significance of weak field general relativity in astrophysics?

Weak field general relativity is important in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, and their motion in the presence of gravitational fields. It also plays a crucial role in the prediction and detection of gravitational waves.

How does weak field general relativity relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity is a more comprehensive theory that includes both weak and strong field regimes. Weak field general relativity is a simplified version that is easier to apply to systems with weaker gravitational fields.

What are some practical applications of weak field general relativity?

Some practical applications of weak field general relativity include predicting and correcting for the effects of gravitational lensing in astronomical observations, as well as improving the accuracy of GPS systems by taking into account the effects of relativity on the satellites' orbits.