Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak force and axial vector coupling

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Hi physics forum,

I have been reading David Griffith's book "intro to elementary particles" and he
    describes the decay of the pi-meson as "pure axial vector"

Can someone tell me what this means, in terms of the weak force vertex consisting of
    this factor

γu(1-γ5)

Thanks, Mark

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Only the term with the gamma_5 in it contributes.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'll follow up 1) what does that mean physically, for example, do only certain particle types engage in pure axial coupling? 2) can you say a little as how
    the math would work (how can the vector part of V-A not contribute, since the axial
    part is multiplied by the vector (γuγ5

I am a novice in this, so it may not be a good question! -Mark

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

db, The weak interaction is an interaction between weak currents, JμJμ. For the lepton pair the particles are free, and Jμ is of the V-A form.

However the quarks that make up the pion are not free, they are in a bound pseudoscalar state. You can combine their wavefunction with the 4-momentum kμ to construct an axial vector current, but there is no way to make a vector current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook