1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight Density and Mass Density

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I measured the weight(in Newtons), mass(in Kilograms), and volume(in cubic meters) of some objects. Then I tried to calculate the mass density and the weight density of the objects.

2. Relevant equations
    Weight Density = weight/volume

Mass Density = mass/volume

ex. weight density of object one ... 2.00 N / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 78431 ??
    mass density of object one ... .204kg / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 8000 ??
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have found my numeric answers but i do not know what units the weight density and mass density are measured in. Would the weight density be measured in newtons/ cubic meters and the mass density in kg/ cubic meters?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, those would be the unit's to use. However, you may want to re-check your calculations.

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    I keep getting the same thing on my calculations. Should i round to the right number of significant digits or should i change my calculator from degrees to radians?

5. Dec 2, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The calculations look fine. Are you hinting about the numbers? It looks to me like the OP was using stainless steel.

What makes you think that this will make any difference?

6. Dec 2, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was referring to the disparity between the weight of the object and the given mass multiplied by g:

(0.204*9.81)/(2.55*10-5) = 78480

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?