Weight of a Box between two fluids of different densities

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
viciousp
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A box with a height L, and a cross sectional Area A is floating between two fluids of densities p1 and p2. Determine the mass of the box using ho, h1, h2, p1, p2, and A.


Homework Equations


F= pVg


The Attempt at a Solution



In the file attached I drew my free body diagram and the image of the box. Solving my FBD I get:

mg+p1(A)(ho)g=p2(A)(h2)g

Solving for m:

p2(A)(h2)-p1(A)(ho)

but with Archimedes principal the answer should be p2(A)(h2)+p1(A)(h1), so what did I do wrong/forget?

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • Drawing_FBD.jpg
    Drawing_FBD.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
The bottom liquid is under the top liquid (obviously), but this has consequences for the pressures that are felt by the box in the bottom liquid.
 
So the only thing I can think of is the pressure of the top liquid acting on the bottom liquid, as well as the buoyancy of the bottom liquid with respect to the top liquid.

Im assuming these two forces are equal to each other Fb= (h1+h0)A*p1. If I include the buoyancy of liquid 2 on liquid 1 on the box diagram it does give me the answer I want, but I don't conceptually understand why.
 
Write the expressions for the pressures at the bottom of the box and the top of the box (at depths h0 and h0+h1+h2).