1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of a man orbiting this given planet

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The mass of one planet in a distant galaxy is 0.58 that of the Earth's mass , and its radius is 0.57 that of the Earth's radius.

What is Fnew, the factor by which the man's weight is reduced if he were orbiting the planet at a distance of 3.5 Earth radii above the planet's surface? i.e., Weight(3.5 Earth radii above planet's surface) = Weight(at planet's surface)/Fnew

I know that the man is 82kg and weighs 1436.022N on the surface of the planet.

2. Relevant equations

F= (M x m)/R^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried doing .58/(.57+3.5)^2 times 82 and a few other things but I'm just not really sure how to solve this problem and it's been frustrating me for a few hours.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2
    I think you are missing a G in that equation up there?

[tex]F_{g} = \frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]

What is the mass of the planet, and it's radius? You should be able to solve for his weight floating above the planet with this information.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook