Weight of a person on earth vs. weight on a different planet

In summary: Thanks for the resource!That's great!But just for clarity, let me rewrite that as:g_{Earth} = G \frac{m_{Earth}}{\left( r_{Earth} \right)^2}Of course you know that g_{Earth} = \mathrm{9.81 \ m/s^2}, so you don't actually need to solve that if you don't want to. But you know how to derive that value if you wanted do. :smile:
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A person on Earth weighs 750N. What would the person weigh on a planet with 1.2 times the radius and 1.9 times the mass?

Homework Equations

mg=Gmme/re2
The two ms cancel, leaving:
g=Gme/re2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two ms cancel out, I thought that the most logical way to approach the problem would be to take the equation g=Gme/re2 and the values I was previously given for the Earth's radius and mass, multiply by the factors given,and solve the problem.

g=(6.67*10-11)(1.1362*1024) /7656000

g=98981121.21 N

The answer seems too large. Did I miss a step, was my logic flawed, or am I just overthinking the answer?

Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heya :smile:

It looks like you didn't multiply the factors correctly. Try again and see what you get.

Note: You can also do it without the numerical values for the Earth's mass and radius. You can do it by getting the ratio of g of the new planet to the one of earth's)

ow :redface:

You are correct actually. You just forgot to square the radius and you missed an extra power for the mass (24 should be 25). Happens :smile:

Likes 1 person
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

A person on Earth weighs 750N. What would the person weigh on a planet with 1.2 times the radius and 1.9 times the mass?

Homework Equations

mg=Gmme/re2
The two ms cancel, leaving:
g=Gme/re2
That's great!

But just for clarity, let me rewrite that as

[tex] g_{Earth} = G \frac{m_{Earth}}{\left( r_{Earth} \right)^2} [/tex]

Of course you know that [itex] g_{Earth} = \mathrm{9.81 \ m/s^2}[/itex], so you don't actually need to solve that if you don't want to. But you know how to derive that value if you wanted do. :smile:

You can also solve for the person's mass, m, using simple algebra, with W = mgEarth, where W = 750 N.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two ms cancel out, I thought that the most logical way to approach the problem would be to take the equation g=Gme/re2 and the values I was previously given for the Earth's radius and mass, multiply by the factors given,and solve the problem.

g=(6.67*10-11)(1.1362*1024) /7656000
I'm sorry, you lost me at this point. I'm not sure where those values are coming from.

g=98981121.21 N
Something is certainly not right here. g is a measure of acceleration, not force/weight. However you have it in units of Newtons, a measure of force/weight. Something is not quite right there.

The answer seems too large. Did I miss a step, was my logic flawed, or am I just overthinking the answer?

Now try

[tex] g_{other} = G \frac{m_{other}}{\left( r_{other} \right)^2} [/tex]

Once you find [itex] g_{other} [/itex], the weight of that person on the other planet is [itex] m \left( g_{other} \right) [/itex]

Last edited:
Mr-R said:
ow :redface:

You are correct actually. You just forgot to square the radius and you missed an extra power for the mass (24 should be 25). Happens :smile:

Hm, okay. I'm not sure if you're saying that my answer is correct and I made a typo here, or that my logic was correct and my answer was slightly off.

collinsmark said:
That's great!

But just for clarity, let me rewrite that as

[tex] g_{Earth} = G \frac{m_{Earth}}{\left( r_{Earth} \right)^2} [/tex]

Of course you know that [itex] g_{Earth} = \mathrm{9.81 \ m/s^2}[/itex], so you don't actually need to solve that if you don't want to. But you know how to derive that value if you wanted do. :smile:

You can also solve for the person's mass, m, using simple algebra, with W = mgEarth, where W = 750 N.

I'm sorry, you lost me at this point. I'm not sure where those values are coming from.

Something is certainly not right here. g is a measure of acceleration, not force/weight. However you have it in units of Newtons, a measure of force/weight. Something is not quite right there.

Now try

[tex] g_{other} = G \frac{m_{other}}{\left( r_{other} \right)^2} [/tex]

Once you find [itex] g_{other} [/itex], the weight of that person on the other planet is [itex] m \left( g_{other} \right) [/itex]

Thanks! I got the values from my previous physics lessons. They are constants, as far as I know.

My first instinct was to calculate the mass using the equation for weight. However, at least as I understand, the person's' original mass cancels out, leaving me with the other information to solve the problem. If I'm wrong about the mass canceling out, I'm open to other ideas! Thanks again! :)

Medgirl314 said:
Hm, okay. I'm not sure if you're saying that my answer is correct and I made a typo here, or that my logic was correct and my answer was slightly off.

It doesn't matter if you cancel the m or not. If you canceled it, then you will multiply the g with m again to get his/her weight. Whatever makes it easier for you. Just check your numbers and algebra again as I said earlier.

Note:
Did you square the radius?
Check the powers

Last edited:

1. What causes the difference in weight on different planets?

The difference in weight on different planets is primarily due to their varying mass and gravitational pull. The greater the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational pull, which results in a higher weight for objects on its surface.

2. How does the weight of a person on Earth compare to their weight on other planets?

The weight of a person on Earth is typically higher than their weight on other planets due to Earth's relatively large mass and strong gravitational pull. However, the exact weight difference varies depending on the mass and gravitational pull of the other planet.

3. Can a person's weight change on different planets?

Yes, a person's weight can change on different planets due to the varying mass and gravitational pull of each planet. For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds on Earth would weigh approximately 56 pounds on the surface of Mars and 354 pounds on the surface of Jupiter.

4. Does the weight of an object on a planet affect its mass?

No, the weight of an object on a planet does not affect its mass. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Therefore, an object's mass remains constant regardless of its location in the universe, while its weight may vary.

5. Can a person's weight be calculated for any planet?

Yes, a person's weight can be calculated for any planet as long as the mass and gravitational pull of the planet are known. The formula for calculating weight is w = m x g, where w is weight, m is mass, and g is the gravitational pull. By plugging in the appropriate values for a specific planet, a person's weight on that planet can be determined.