Weight difference at Mt. Everest summit vs. sea level

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in Ned's weight at the peak of Mt. Everest and at sea level, given his mass and the mass and radius of Earth. The formula used is Fg = Gm1m2 / r2, with the field strength g calculated as 9.80 N using the equation g = Gm / r2. However, the mass and radius of Earth are corrected to be 5.98 x 1024 kg and 6.37 x 106 m, respectively. The solution for Ned's weight at the top of the mountain is still unknown.
pauladancer

Homework Statement

Ned climbs to the peak of Mt. Everest, the tallest peak on Earth at 8850 m above sea level. Ned's mass is 95 kg, the mass of Earth is 5.98 x 1024 kg, and Earth's radius is 6.37 x 106 m. What is the difference in Ned's weight when comparing his weight at the top of the mountain to his weight at sea level?

Homework Equations

Fg = Gm1m2 / r2
g = Gm / r2
g = Fg / m

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the field strength equal to 9.80 N using the equation g = Gm / r2 . After that I'm lost, I have no idea how to get his weight at the top of the mountain!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, mass of Earth should be 5.98 x 1024kg and radius of Earth should be 6.37 x 106m

pauladancer said:
I have no idea how to get his weight at the top of the mountain!
Same formula, but are all the variables in it the same value?

1. What is the difference of weight question?

The difference of weight question refers to a type of scientific inquiry that involves comparing the weight of two or more objects or substances. This can be done by measuring the mass of each object and calculating the difference between them.

2. Why is the difference of weight question important?

Understanding the difference of weight between objects can provide valuable information in a variety of scientific fields. For example, it can help determine the density of a substance, compare the effectiveness of different materials, or track changes in an organism's body composition.

3. How is the difference of weight question answered?

The difference of weight question is typically answered through experimentation and data analysis. This involves accurately measuring the weight of each object, recording the results, and performing calculations to determine the difference between them.

4. What tools are used to answer the difference of weight question?

The tools used to answer the difference of weight question can vary depending on the objects or substances being compared. Common tools include scales, balances, and other measuring devices such as graduated cylinders or rulers.

5. Are there any limitations to the difference of weight question?

Like any scientific inquiry, the difference of weight question has its limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to all types of objects or substances, and external factors such as air resistance or buoyancy may affect the results. It is important to consider these limitations and potential sources of error when interpreting the results of a difference of weight experiment.